NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm Dianne from Ontario, Canada. I have wanted a Beetle my entire life but know nothing about cars. When the New Beetles came out in 1998 I was in love. I test drove one and my husband insisted that a Corolla would be a more practical car. :( Since then I've had my share of minivans, crossovers and school buses (I'm a school bus driver). I'm a married mom and foster mom who's always last in line to get anything. Now I'm being a little greedy. I'm turning 40 this year and I'm scraping up a little money to buy my very first Beetle. The primary use for my Bug will be to drive around (maybe doing errands) with none of the other 6 people that live in my house in it. :p I'm totally nervous about buying a used car so I'm looking forward to everyone's tips.

·
Super Moderator
14,783 Posts
You go! :p

I, too, fell in love with them in 1998. But, it was only 2002 before I got my first one. :)

If you can, avoid automatics. They tend to be problematic. Go with a manual.

Also, the newer, the better. After the 2005 year, they changed a bit. Pre 2005, look much like each other, with a few changes. If you find one you like, make sure that it has been properly maintained.

Most of all, Have fun with your search! Trust me, the right one will "call out" to you. :wink2:

Welcome to the the gang! :wave2:

·
tim
62 Posts
welcome to the org., your just across the boarder from me. my advice on a buying is to take your time and look, check out, several beetles before you buy. then decide, good luck shopping!! let us know what you get , we all love pictures!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Welcome to the great and wonderful ORG! Many fantastic cars, people and answers lurk in this great land. If you haven't done so already, take time to fill in your profile and post a few photos so we can ORGle them!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the warm welcome gang. To be honest I've never driven a manual transmission but I don't see it being a problem to learn. My husband is convinced that "automatics are safer". Originally I just wanted every Beetle that I even looked at but I'm over it. I'm trying to pace myself in the search.

55 Posts
I own and 98 new beetle. even though I love the car to death I suggest you buy a newer model. early beetles ,including mine, had many problems.. good luck with your new car! there will be many miles of happiness! :)

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Welcome to the club!

So here is the 2-cents you didn't ask for from a technical perspective:
1998 and 1999 models are going to be more problematic at this time due to age and the quality of many of their parts being "first run," meaning the interior is going to look like crap. Also if it's a diesel you are after, the 98 and 99 have a known "hot start" software flaw that will take some $$ to resolve (as the 98 and 99 ECUs cannot be flash reprogrammed, they must literally be 'chipped' as in opened up and their memory chips removed and replaced with new ones!)

The 2.0L is a pretty indestructible motor. I think 2001 is when they moved to the drive by wire electric pedal, all prior models are drive by cable. The 2.0 does consume some oil (as can the 1.9L TDI diesel). The 1.8T, with exception to the Turbo S 2002-2004, was a slower variant of the 1.8T found in all other VWs including the GTI. I have historically said not to mess with them as they seem to be very problematic but we just bought a 2001 1.8T passat with 106,000 miles that is in good condition. I have $6800 in receipts that show many many MANY cooling system repairs over the years (mostly failed flanges and hoses). More so than I've seen for a 2.0 or TDI.

A word on interiors.... a 15 year old car will have a worn interior. Expect a sagging headliner (A fun DIY Job, or just use push pins to hold it up), worn seats (easy to replace with units found at your plentiful pick and pull junk yards), and probably blown speakers (also easy to upgrade). Broke window switches and mirror control knob, glove box latches, arm rest latches, and "static" cupolders (98-01) are VERY common. Be prepared to scout out some replacement parts.

2002 featured a swivel cup holder that, I personally believe, was the best design ever and nothing has ever surpassed it. It's easy to upgrade (or downgrade if you have an 06+) to it, but sourcing one can be an issue. Again, pick and pull yards, this site, and VWVortex will become your friends.

Lastly, I'd really advocate the manual transmission. The O1M automatic is not a stout transmission, but I have seen all three engine combinations make it to 150k and even 250k miles if well cared for -- and well cared for is involved, and I argue, expensive. I've never replaced a clutch in a Beetle, except in my 2003 when the automatic transmission was pulled out and a manual transmission replaced it. I've gone 250k on a clutch before (not entirely in my ownership during that mileage time).

But no matter what, you'll love it and its quirks. The beetle is the only car where problems are personality, and quirks define the experience.

Oh, yes, the alarm. Your door sensors will likely be toast. When you unlock the car put the key in the ignition and turn it on within 30 seconds. If you don't, the car may re-arm the alarm and cause you a headache when you do try and start it (this happened to my mother in her 99 this past week). China made replacement door lock modules are $30, but are very involved to replace per door. Easier to know the failure and how to work around it, in my humbled opinion.

Cheers!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts