NewBeetle.org Forums banner

Did I make a good purchase? Paid $3600 out the door

• Total voters
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
NB Virgin
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm Michael and live in Jacksonville FL.

I am a long time owner of VW's
my 1st was a 77 Rabbit(used), 88 Fox (new), 96 Golf(new) then went off track getting a Ford, Pontiac, what mistakes. I also had an 85 Audi 5000 Turbo, aka money pit. lol I did love that car, finally got rid of it.

I'm now the new owner of a 2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2.0

I have several cosmetic problems and need to know where to start posting.

Door Handle on passenger is broken, the plastic parts..
Fuel Door, Trunk Switch surround for driver door is missing.
Sun Roof is totally dead, I can't find the fuse layout on my "fuse card"

Any and all help is greatly appreciated in advance!

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Congrats on your new purchase.
If you think you made a good purchase then you did. I bought a 2000 1.8 GLX earlier this year for $2800 out the door which wasn't too bad. ;)

Regarding your sun roof, did you pull the plastic fuse panel on the drivers door? It should give you a read out on what fuses go where and do what.

Also did you check with whoever you bought the car from to make sure the timing belt/water pump service has been done?
Very important!

Here is a link to the Newbie Welcome Kit that MORAV put so well together.

http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-member-forum/51021-newbie-welcome-kit.html

Welcome to the ORG ;)

·
NB Virgin
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, and I have checked the card, but it doesn't show the sunroof, or "icon" most fuses have a book icon with and explanation mark on them. I did crank the roof open and shut, seems to have a lot of resistance. That's not on top of my list though. The speed indicator is a concern to me, it "rest" on top of the fuel indicator when at full stop, then when moving it rises up but is off about 15mph slower than actually going. I want to post topic, where should that be? I have some pics too.

I joined last night and read several of your posting's, came across the post about the timing chain stuff; they could not supply that info. The engine looks untouched so I'm thinking not.. and not happy but I'm sure I can find a good local place to do for a reasonable price, lots of foreign car repair places here in Jacksonville FL

Congrats on your new purchase.
If you think you made a good purchase then you did. I bought a 2000 1.8 GLX earlier this year for $2800 out the door which wasn't too bad. ;)

Regarding your sun roof, did you pull the plastic fuse panel on the drivers door? It should give you a read out on what fuses go where and do what.

Also did you check with whoever you bought the car from to make sure the timing belt/water pump service has been done?
Very important!

Here is a link to the Newbie Welcome Kit that MORAV put so well together.

http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-member-forum/51021-newbie-welcome-kit.html

Welcome to the ORG ;)

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Thank you, and I have checked the card, but it doesn't show the sunroof, or "icon" most fuses have a book icon with and explanation mark on them. I did crank the roof open and shut, seems to have a lot of resistance. That's not on top of my list though. The speed indicator is a concern to me, it "rest" on top of the fuel indicator when at full stop, then when moving it rises up but is off about 15mph slower than actually going. I want to post topic, where should that be? I have some pics too.

I joined last night and read several of your posting's, came across the post about the timing chain stuff; they could not supply that info. The engine looks untouched so I'm thinking not.. and not happy but I'm sure I can find a good local place to do for a reasonable price, lots of foreign car repair places here in Jacksonville FL
Hey Michael, I will look in my owners manual to see if I can find the fuse for the sunroof.

ScarabY2K is also from Jacksonville, Perhaps he can suggest a good and honest VW shop in your area?!

Now to your other problem. Are you saying that your speedometer is not working properly? Could be the VSS (Vehicle speed sensor) Now comes the Million dollar question. Do you have a 5 Speed manual or an automatic transmission??
If you have a Manual the VSS is very easy to replace on the other hand if you have an automatic it a royal pain in the butt to replace.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Okay the fuse for the sunroof should be #30 in the fuse block.
It's a 20amp fuse.

Give that a try and see if it is blown. Another possibility would be the sunroof motor itself could be bad. In which case you would have to remove the headliner in order to replace it.
It also could be a wire that is broken between the CCM (comfort control module) and the sunroof motor.
But check the fuse first and then go from there.

Good Luck!

PS: Have you tried to operate the sunroof with the ignition key. Normally if the sunroof is open you can close it from the outside by locking the door with the ignition key and keeping it in the lock
position until the sunroof closes. Give that a try and see what happens.

·
NB Virgin
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My model of the NB will do that?
PS: Have you tried to operate the sunroof with the ignition key. Normally if the sunroof is open you can close it from the outside by locking the door with the ignition key and keeping it in the lock
position until the sunroof closes. Give that a try and see what happens.

·
NB Virgin
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, manually opened the roof half way, shut doors and held lock button, no action and the doors would not lock.

I did notice as I started to manually open the roof the drivers side kinda popped back a little.. ouch. I had removed the sunroof assy from my old 88 Audi 5000 and totally rebuilt, put back in. If I need to remove and check it should be eaiser than that don't you think?

Thanks, Michael

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
ok, manually opened the roof half way, shut doors and held lock button, no action and the doors would not lock.

I did notice as I started to manually open the roof the drivers side kinda popped back a little.. ouch. I had removed the sunroof assy from my old 88 Audi 5000 and totally rebuilt, put back in. If I need to remove and check it should be eaiser than that don't you think?

Thanks, Michael
I found this link on the forum when I did a search for Sunroof problems:
http://newbeetle.org/forums/technical-modifications/36699-sun-roof-will-not-work.html

It might give you some insight. If your doors don't lock either it could be the CCM unit under the dash.
Did you try replacing the fuse yet?

·
NB Virgin
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The doors locks work fine when the roof is closed, ii knows its open because they will not lock when the roof is opened manually. I close it manually and the doors lock with control.

I read the other thread and will do some checking tomorrow, thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
Hey Michael.
Good to see a fellow Duval Dub in joining the org- welcome aboard.

As far as local VW shops, I highly recommend:
Wagen Werks
10142 103 St Unit 207,
Jacksonville, FL 32210
904-317-6799

Kyle will probably answer the phone- tell em Al, (that's me) sent you.

Wagen Werks did Cup's (my beetle)top end rebuild, as well as a few other doo dads. They're former service men of a local VW dealership and know their stuff. They won't steal you blind like the dealership will.

Not only me, but fellow orgers, Vern and Chuckie, have had their VW's serviced/repaired there.

Here's their Facebook page: CLICK HERE

Hope to meet up with you soon:wave2

-Al

·
NB Virgin
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks!

Hey Michael.
Good to see a fellow Duval Dub in joining the org- welcome aboard.

As far as local VW shops, I highly recommend:
Wagen Werks
10142 103 St Unit 207,
Jacksonville, FL 32210
904-317-6799

Kyle will probably answer the phone- tell em Al, (that's me) sent you.

Wagen Werks did Cup's (my beetle)top end rebuild, as well as a few other doo dads. They're former service men of a local VW dealership and know their stuff. They won't steal you blind like the dealership will.

Not only me, but fellow orgers, Vern and Chuckie, have had their VW's serviced/repaired there.

Here's their Facebook page: CLICK HERE

Hope to meet up with you soon:wave2

-Al
Thanks u all for making me feel so welcome on my first day!

I will defiantly be checking them out about the timing belt replacement along with a quote for strut replacement b4 I go trying it myself, although after doing an Audi 5000 strut and both axles, I feel confident about doing my left front strut since the response here is, "it was pretty easy."

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
Thanks u all for making me feel so welcome on my first day!

I will defiantly be checking them out about the timing belt replacement along with a quote for strut replacement b4 I go trying it myself, although after doing an Audi 5000 strut and both axles, I feel confident about doing my left front strut since the response here is, "it was pretty easy."
It's what we do Michael. We loves us some beetle peeps:banana:! Pretty pumped that we have a new orger, AND a Jacksonville one here amongst us!

I need to do the struts on Cup too; that and tie rods. Gotta do that before May, when we'll be taming the Dragon once more.

Yeah, check out Kyle and the boys for sure. They'll do the job much cheaper than the stealership will do.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,916 Posts
How many miles and what transmssion? Inquiring minds want to know! :p

And when you tried to get the sunroof to close with the locks, did you use the key in the door to lock the car or use your remote? It won't work with the remote without some changes in VAG-COM, but should work using the physical lock on the door.

·
NB Virgin
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How many miles and what transmssion? Inquiring minds want to know! :p

And when you tried to get the sunroof to close with the locks, did you use the key in the door to lock the car or use your remote? It won't work with the remote without some changes in VAG-COM, but should work using the physical lock on the door.
123K and manual.

The sunroof, that I did not try. On another post I thought I mentioned that when manually cranked, as it begins to drop down the left side jumps back some making it askew. I'm going to take some photos and make a you tube video tomorrow, again thanks for all the input! :thewave:

·
NB Virgin
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
New Beetle "Facebook" like Site

I have gained much experience here since I joined just recently, many thanks to those who have helped me along!

I have started my own site, it's more of a social type thing. Sharing with each other just like Facebook, but devoted totally to NB Owners.

• Photos Challenges
  • Facebook Like Wall
  • Use Facebook Via website
  • Import your Facebook, photos, events and groups
  • Musical e-cards
  • All of the site is FREE
Check the site out, join using your Facebook, Google or other social networks..

www.mynewbeetle.net A Social Site

And you can "like" the Community Page on Facebook.. https://www.facebook.com/pages/My-New-Beetle-Network-Community/145747098869564

1 - 17 of 17 Posts