NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Ylello
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all...

After years of wanting a Beetle, I finally have one thanks to Sandy flooding out our other cars. :(Tough way to get one, but since my kids are finally all grown, I decided to go for my dream car.

She is a 2001 GLS, Yellow, with 80,000 miles on her. She runs and looks great, but needs a little bit of TLC. I think the rear struts might need replacing and there is an issue with the check engine light going on each time I get gas. Beyond that, she is perfect.

I am looking forward to getting to know everyone and sharing our adventures with Ylello bug

Karen

·
Super Moderator
14,786 Posts
Sorry to hear you were affected by Sandy. I'm on the west coast, but I still was mortified to see that.

Welcome to the Org! :)

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Hey all...

After years of wanting a Beetle, I finally have one thanks to Sandy flooding out our other cars. :(Tough way to get one, but since my kids are finally all grown, I decided to go for my dream car.

She is a 2001 GLS, Yellow, with 80,000 miles on her. She runs and looks great, but needs a little bit of TLC. I think the rear struts might need replacing and there is an issue with the check engine light going on each time I get gas. Beyond that, she is perfect.

I am looking forward to getting to know everyone and sharing our adventures with Ylello bug

Karen
Hi Karen and Welcome to the ORG.
Congrats on the Beetle purchase. Post some pics when you get the chance.
Your Beetle doesn't have struts in the back but just regular shocks which are Super easy to replace. Took me about 10 minutes for each side and you don't even have to take off the wheels. The fronts do have struts and they are a bit more difficult to replace. I used Monroe Quick struts which came with new springs already assembled. Took about 1 1/2 hours for the drivers side and 2 hours for the passenger side.
What engine and transmission do you have in your Beetle? At your mileage and especially age you
Are due for the very very very important Timing belt and Water pump service. Don't wait on that since
If the timing belt goes it will turn your beloved car into a door stop in an instant. Also if you have the dreaded 4 speed Automatic Transmission do get a transmission fluid and filter change ASAP.
That fluid in there is darker than night and you can consider yourself super lucky if you haven't experienced any shifting issues yet. Most of the time once you do it is already too late and a valve body
Replacement or transmission replacement is imminent which in most cases is more than what the
Car is worth. If you are lucky enough to have bought a 5 speed than don't worry about the tranny.
Once again Welcome and Please don't be afraid to ask questions.

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,470 Posts
Welcome to the org. There is a lot of knowledge here for you to sift through, and a lot of knowledgeable people to help you out!
All you have to do is post a question and someone in the know is bound to chime in!

Again Welcome! :)

·
Ylello
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much for the great welcome!
I will post pics and stats ASAP but I can happily say that I have the 5 speed manual tranny and it's shifting perfectly :)
Glad to also hear about the struts. I am not sure what the knocking I am hearing over bumps is but it is a higher up sound, and car itself isn't bottoming out or bouncy or any of other things I associate with shock wear. It does have a metal to metal sound though.
Also have the fill up gas results in check engine light issue, tightened gas cap and light goes out.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Thanks so much for the great welcome!
I will post pics and stats ASAP but I can happily say that I have the 5 speed manual tranny and it's shifting perfectly :)
Glad to also hear about the struts. I am not sure what the knocking I am hearing over bumps is but it is a higher up sound, and car itself isn't bottoming out or bouncy or any of other things I associate with shock wear. It does have a metal to metal sound though.
Also have the fill up gas results in check engine light issue, tightened gas cap and light goes out.
Not sure what your rear knocking sound is. Could be a loose exhaust hanger. You just might have to go under the car.
Have the car scanned for codes so we can see what the other issue might be.
A new gas cap might be in order. ;)

·
Ylello
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok it already had the water pump replaced under warranty at 65,000 miles as part of general service and maintenance. Apparently they wouldn't change the timing belt then because they said it wouldn't be covered/wasn't necessary until 100,000. So for sure I need that done though the service records are saying at 100,000.
It's the 2.0 gas, 5 speed.
I checked under the car for loose exhaust and doesn't seem to be so I don't know what it could be.
Is there padding between any parts that could be worn that need replacing back there? Sorry if my questions are silly; we have always owned Jeeps and this is our first VW. I can tell you anything you want to know about Jeeps ;)
It was garage kept and hadn't been driven in a couple years, (previous owner now mom of two ) but prior to that was very pampered by the owner, as it will be by me. :)

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Ok it already had the water pump replaced under warranty at 65,000 miles as part of general service and maintenance. Apparently they wouldn't change the timing belt then because they said it wouldn't be covered/wasn't necessary until 100,000. So for sure I need that done though the service records are saying at 100,000.
It's the 2.0 gas, 5 speed.
I checked under the car for loose exhaust and doesn't seem to be so I don't know what it could be.
Is there padding between any parts that could be worn that need replacing back there? Sorry if my questions are silly; we have always owned Jeeps and this is our first VW. I can tell you anything you want to know about Jeeps ;)
It was garage kept and hadn't been driven in a couple years, (previous owner now mom of two ) but prior to that was very pampered by the owner, as it will be by me. :)
Don't be fooled by Service schedules saying that the timing belt doesn't need changing prior to 100k miles. Most of them never make it that far. Actually works out great for VW since the car is long out of warranty by then and they get to charge you premium prices for repairs. ;)
Also not only mileage comes into play but also age. I wouldn't trust a timing belt that is 10 years + old even if it only had 100 miles on the clock. Rubber dry rots over time no matter how many miles. When they replaced the water pump did they replace it with one that has metal instead of plastic impellars? If not I would still replace the water pump as well. The plastic oem pumps do tend to fail more often then the metal impellar aftermarket pumps.
Rule of thumb is replacing the timing belt/water pump/tensioner and pulley every 80k miles or 6 years whichever comes first. Sure it can last a tad longer but why take the chance. It's either pay a little now or a whole lot later.

Not sure what your clunking noise in the back could be. You can take the wheels off and take a look at the suspension to see if anything looks loose or out of place. The shock mounts have rubber bushings and they could be worn out or dry rotted. Always change the shock mounts along with the rear shocks.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

·
Ylello
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I plan on getting the timing belt done tomorrow...I was not even thinking about waiting until the 100,000 point. It is not worth the possibility of it going beforehand. I guess I should have the water pump changed out as well while they are in there.

As for the noise, I am thinking it is something to do with rubber bushings too..only happens on big dips/bumps; it is not a consistent noise. It sounds like metal on metal where there should be some kind of buffer.

I am most worried about the check engine situation, as the previous owner was not able to get it through inspection because of the check engine light being on. She said she had the issue on and off since she first got the Beetle, always after getting fuel. NJ is tough with the emissions testing, so this has to get fixed, though service records show they checked it repeatedly over the years and it is still an issue so that has me nervous. I did the "6 click" turn with the gas cap after I got gas tonight, and the light still came on.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Welcome to the org and the new beetle. This place certainly has all the answers you will ever need to ask about these great little cars, and they are a great bunch of people. I just got my first nb a little over 2 months ago. They are so fun to drive. I love this car!!! Hope you and Ylello have as much fun together :D.

Can't wait to see pictures.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I plan on getting the timing belt done tomorrow...I was not even thinking about waiting until the 100,000 point. It is not worth the possibility of it going beforehand. I guess I should have the water pump changed out as well while they are in there.

As for the noise, I am thinking it is something to do with rubber bushings too..only happens on big dips/bumps; it is not a consistent noise. It sounds like metal on metal where there should be some kind of buffer.

I am most worried about the check engine situation, as the previous owner was not able to get it through inspection because of the check engine light being on. She said she had the issue on and off since she first got the Beetle, always after getting fuel. NJ is tough with the emissions testing, so this has to get fixed, though service records show they checked it repeatedly over the years and it is still an issue so that has me nervous. I did the "6 click" turn with the gas cap after I got gas tonight, and the light still came on.
Do you know what the code is for the CEL? Could be something very simple. But you need the code to get an idea on what it could be

1 - 13 of 13 Posts