VW Beetle Forum banner

Hi Folks

928 Views 10 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  02SilverSport
Hi I'm Trav,

I've been roaming the forums for the better part of a week but yet to introduce myself. After getting into a wreck with my Focus last week, I decided to dive in and choose a new car. Now I've got 99 New Beetle GLS.

I didn't mean to get it. I originally just wanted another Focus. Then I found one on Craigslist with just 137,000 miles on it, and I figured why not buy it? She needs a little more work than what I'm used to but coming here over the last few days have helped a lot in accepting what needs to be done and enjoying her for what she is.

I look forward to talking and sharing with everyone!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
:)Welcome to the Org, Pics please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)
Hi Trav, welcome to the Org!! :bigthumb:
Forgot to post a picture of here. Sorry its a SkyDrive link. Only one I have while its in the shop for a bad regulator. https://onedrive.live.com/?gologin=1&mkt=en-US#cid=7AADCDDB0DADC3AB&id=7AADCDDB0DADC3AB%2133259&v=3
Welcome from Texas. We are sure glad you found us! :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
What are the details? Interior, wheels, options? We Must Know! :D

Welcome to the Org, :wave2: and Welcome to the New Beetle World! :party:
Deets

Yellow 99 New Beetle GLS itself is pretty stock. I picked it up because I thought it'd be something I could work on the weekends that didn't connect to a Wi-Fi network or require me to think and type (I'm a writer and tech reporter during the day.)

Wheels are all stock and missing their center covers completely. It does have a sunroof, which was a big plus for me and the body itself is in pretty great condition.

All the real work to be done is in the inside. The previous owner treated it like a throwaway car and didn't take care of the inside of it very well. There's a leak being caused by the Rear Break Stop light, two door panels with broken handles and window buttons and a single speaker cover that need to be replace. He also let his son or daughter stick coins in the stereo. All of the seats are in great shape except for the driver's side which I didn't notice. (He put seat covers over everything. I lifted one up and it looked fine underneath and didn't bother to check the others.)

I only got her Tuesday so I'm in the early stages of rehabbing. Next week I'm going to try and track down a key with the locking buttons instead of the spare key he had. I'm also formulating a plan to deal with those door panels that doesn't involve replacing them completely. I spent Thursday evening replacing the wiring in the dash and doing the prep work for a new sound system. I've also ordered new dash panel blanks and a replacement break stop light that should have been here already but is stuck in "Processing" purgatory with my local dealer.

Right now, she's spending the weekend with my local mechanic. Had them check her over yesterday for any mechanical issues and the only thing he found was a bad window regulator and a coolant flange that needed to be replaced. They're doing all of that work now.
See less See more
In the parts and accessories section there is a set of 4 center caps in good condition. I don't know what style wheels you have. Maybe they will fit! These things are kind of hard to come by, so if they fit yours I would jump on them. I think it was a good price, from what I remember. :)

In the parts and accessories section there is a set of 4 center caps in good condition. I don't know what style wheels you have. Maybe they will fit! These things are kind of hard to come by, so if they fit yours I would jump on them. I think it was a good price, from what I remember. :)

Thanks! Will definitely take a look at those now. Great suggestion!
Looks like I'm already bowing out of the group before I even got started.

After spending the better part of the last two days dealing with random issues on the Beetle, I've decided to just sell for scrap parts. It's a shame as I really liked the car, but I'm not a big fan after trying to do something as simple as replace the rear middle break light with another from Volkswagen turned into an epic disaster.

I wanted to think all of you guys for being so nice even in the small bit of time I was here. It was very nice of you.
Welcome to the great and wonderful ORG! Many fantastic cars, people and answers lurk in this great land. If you haven't done so already, take time to fill in your profile and post a few photos so we can ORGle them!!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.