NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time poster here but I visit on occasion for mechanical advice and general New Beetle Interest. Anyway, on to the gritty details...

I have a 2001 New Beetle GL with just over 100k miles on it. Black with gray interior, 5-speed manual, hand-crank windows, everything stock except a 6-cd changer in the trunk. Unfortunately it's got some issues that I can't afford to deal with right now. It needs a new catalytic converter, the parking brake cable has snapped somewhere in its sheath, the airbag warning light is on and it's due up for its 100k tune-up (new timing belt, etc). It's also got some minor issues like a broken glove box handle and the usual wear-and-tear of a car with over 100k miles. It otherwise runs well and has been my daily commuter (back roads and highway) for the last 4 years with no breakdowns. I've also done some general maintenance since I bought it at 65k miles like new brakes, rear rotors, tires, serpentine belt, battery and hubcaps. I've also done regular oil changes every 3k miles.

I know the Blue Book value for a private sale is around $4,000 in good condition, but with the issues mentioned I'm guessing that price is too high. So, I'm asking for advice on what price I should list the car at. I really can't borrow the money to do the repairs myself, so trying to sell it is my only real option. I'm also trying to rid myself of cars completely, so I don't intend to trade in at a dealership, either. I owe about $1,500 but hope to do better than breaking even. Thanks for the help!

Oh, and if you actually want to buy it, I live in South Yarmouth, Massachusetts. :)

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
$3000...sounds like good asking price. It's gonna need about a grand put in it. Maybe take $2800. I sold my 2000GLX with 140k on it for $3000. It also needed a TB/WP. Just my opinion.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
$2850

Depends if you want to price it to sell or price it to get what you want for it.

I think you'll be able to pay off your debt and also have some spare for a vacation :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions :) I was guessing something around that range, so I will try listing it around $3000 and see what I get.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts