VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I just inherited a 2002 Beetle GLS. My mom passed away last year and I took ownership of her Beetle, "Bubbles," last weekend.

It's loaded, only 50k miles, mechanically perfect, never wrecked or anything, but needs a little TLC, especially the interior, because it's been sitting outside in Louisiana for a year or so.

While Vanagons are my passion (I have an '85 Wolfsburg Westfalia/Subaru 2.2,) this Beetle is my 25th or so VW. I've owned Vanagons, Rabbits, Golfs, Jettas, and Scirocco's over the years; I think that's a good part of the reason that I was given this Beetle.

My mom absolutely loved this car, so my plan is to keep it OEM with a few tasteful upgrades and keep it forever as a third car/parts getter.

I'm a longtime thesamba.com forum member and am looking forward to getting into this forum as well!

Here's a photo of how it sat last week. I changed the oil, wipers, check tire pressure, etc. then cleaned it up and drove it 1100 miles back to Denver without issue. I wasn't really sure how I felt about it when I first got in, but after two straight days of driving it, I'm absolutely hooked.

Thanks,
Joe T.

·
Super Moderator
14,832 Posts
Welcome to the Org, :wave2: and Welcome to the New Beetle! :)

Thank you for adopting her NB, and keeping it living on! :clap:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's been a few months since I brought the Beetle to Colorado, and I have to admit, I'm driving it more than my Westy. Something about A/C, automatic, quiet...
I've found that it works hard in the mountains but does pretty well. I'm sure a turbo would be more suited to the High Rockies, but Bubbles has done an admirable job on a couple of trips to Summit County.

I've done general maintenance, tuneup, filters, oil, etc., but am getting quite frustrated with the hatch not popping, with the sunroof shade being off-track, and the fragility and cost of some of the interior plastic bits, but hopefully I'll have some time soon to address those issues.

In prep for winter, I've got a set of 15" steelies and Blizzaks picked out, and I have a Yakima rack and cargo basket ready to mount.

I'm really having fun with this car so far.

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
You have a very nice looking NB there! I'm sorry about the circumstances that it came to your possession, but I am glad that you are enjoying it and giving it the love it deserves.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts