VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my 2003 VW New Beetle in 2012 and it already had existing cosmetic issues; I got it for $3500 from my godfather so I knew I was in for a serious fixer upper! Since having this car, I replaced the alternator, radiator and a sensor for the coolant. I never bothered with a carfax report but in retrospect I should have been smarter to ask for one. Oh well...
There's still a lot of things on my to do list that I'm really unsure how to acquire or handle. I'm overwhelmed with what I see when I search on the Internet. So here's a few:
1. Both of my door handles are completely broken and the passenger door has cracks, so I put gorilla tape over it! It's embarrassing. Where can I find a pair of reasonably priced interior panels and handles that match the color? (Galactic Blue) I'm weary of eBay, just never trusted it, but I saw a pair for $500...worth it?
2. I have minor cracks all over my dashboard and around my air vents...what does that indicate?
3. Airbag and engine light have been on for two years :/ how do I get this checked out?
4. Speedometer won't register anything over 60-65 MPH. I have received speeding tickets for not realizing my speed in the past (mind you, I was a fresh driver.)
5. Where do I get a new bumper and hubcaps? Lost two hubcaps and the bumper is being held with zip ties....
I bought the car at 135,000 miles and I'm currently at 155,000. I'm expecting more issues to arise soon.
This car has been such a trial-and-error learning experience and now I think I am too attached to it to even consider a new car... Plus I'm going to law school soon and getting a new car scares me at this point but I was advised to look into it. So my obvious option is to invest into repairs. What are good websites for the various parts I described and how do I check if the engine and airbag system has issues?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,414 Posts
1) I assume you're talking about the inner door handles? If so, there is a way to fix those: VW New Beetle Door Handle Replacement | Dieselgeek

2) Cracks over the dashboard and stuff - not sure. I never had any cracks in mine but lots and lots of scratches. The "soft touch" coating really scratches easily. Maybe the dash has been removed before resulting in the cracks? Or someone was just really careless with it?

3) Autozone, etc. can read codes for you, though they can't read the airbag codes. So you'd need to find someone with a VW specific scanner like VCDS. (check out Ross-Tech: Home for info on that system). There are locators out there where you can find someone with VCDS. Or if you post your location here, someone may be nearby to help you out.

4) The codes may help point you in the right direction. Could be a speed sensor problem.

5) Junkyards and part outs would be a good place to start. Is the bumper damaged? Or did someone just lose the screws which hold it in place? Or are you talking about the lower portion where the fog lights are?

At that mileage, you need to make sure the timing belt/water pump/etc. have been replaced in the last 60k/5 years. If not or if you don't know, get that done ASAP. I would also recommend getting this car to someone who knows VWs and get them to give it a once over. Sounds like it hasn't really been maintained much and it would be good for you to know what is needed before it becomes a huge issue.

What engine and transmission do you have in the car? We can give more pointers after we find that out as well.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the helpful information! I will check out the websites you provided. And I made a small error in my original post- it's not the engine light, but the malfunction indicator light (heh). Regardless, I definitely need to get it scanned. And in my booklet it says the engine and transmission code is AVH/FDF. Is that what you mean by the type? And I am located in New Orleans, Louisiana if anyone can help with a VW scanner for the air bag light, or I might end up going to a nearby dealership ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts