VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First post here! I'm not new to VWs, but might get my first New Beetle tomorrow. If so, I'll probably need to tow it home. First, a few questions:

1) Are there two easily accessible forward-facing bolt holes in the front bumper area to attach an adjustable A-frame tow bar for flat-towing (such as behind a motorhome) without removing the bumper cover? If not, how much trouble is it to remove the cover?

2) Did all 2002-2004 New Beetle Turbo S come with moon-roofs, or was there a moon-roof delete option?

3) Did any 1999-2005 New Beetle 1.8T other than Turbo S come with variable valve timing (VVT), TO3s turbocharger, or 6-speed manual transaxle?
EDIT: I did some digging in ETKA and determined that all except APH engine code came with VVT.

Thanks in advance for any answers to the above questions, or comments/corrections on my observations below.

I haven't found a detailed model year breakdown anywhere, but I've collected the following info from my own sightings of US and Canadian vehicles (using 10th VIN digit to identify model years), as well as some secondary sources, all viewed over the last month since a bright blue New Beetle 1.8T first caught my eye, and then a friend picked up a silver 2.0 5-speed.

1998 small mirrors; no side-blinkers; open head-rests; square gas flap; hood post; round front tweeter covers; 2.0L gas or 1.9L TDI; GL, GLS or GLX trims; no Immo.

1999 1.8T (150hp) added with pop-up rear spoiler; hood struts; ABS standard; side-blinkers added ('99.5) to body near mirrors.

2000 Immo2.

2001 larger mirrors; HID option; RSI available 2001-2003; updated front trim mounts (sometime between '00-'02).

2002 Turbo S added (with 180hp 1.8T, 6-spd, and special bumpers); Immo3.

2003 solid head-rests; convertible added with side-blinkers on mirrors.

2004 side-blinkers moved to mirrors for coupe; RSI dropped.

2005 Turbo S dropped; in-dash cassette replaced with CD.

2006 New bumpers, flatter fenders, different lights, and round gas flap; both 4-cyl gas (1.8T and 2.0L) engines dropped; non-turbo 5-cyl gas engine added.

2007 TDI dropped.

2008 minor options differences?

2009 unchanged?

2010 unchanged?

2011 Replaced by new new "Beetle" (2012 m.y.).

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,471 Posts
First post here! I'm not new to VWs, but might get my first New Beetle tomorrow. If so, I'll probably need to tow it home. First, a few questions:

1) Are there two easily accessible forward-facing bolt holes in the front bumper area to attach an adjustable A-frame tow bar for flat-towing (such as behind a motorhome) without removing the bumper cover? If not, how much trouble is it to remove the cover?

2) Did all 2002-2004 New Beetle Turbo S come with moon-roofs, or was there a moon-roof delete option?

3) Did any 1999-2005 New Beetle 1.8T other than Turbo S come with variable valve timing (VVT), TO3s turbocharger, or 6-speed manual transaxle?
EDIT: I did some digging in ETKA and determined that all except APH engine code came with VVT.

Thanks in advance for any answers to the above questions, or comments/corrections on my observations below.

I haven't found a detailed model year breakdown anywhere, but I've collected the following info from my own sightings of US and Canadian vehicles (using 10th VIN digit to identify model years), as well as some secondary sources, all viewed over the last month since a bright blue New Beetle 1.8T first caught my eye, and then a friend picked up a silver 2.0 5-speed.

1998 small mirrors; no side-blinkers; no fogs; open head-rests; square gas flap; 2.0L gas or 1.9L TDI; GL, GLS or GLX trims; no Immo.

1999 1.8T (150hp) added with pop-up rear spoiler; fogs added; ABS standard.

2000 side-blinkers added to body near mirrors; Immo2.

2001 larger mirrors; HID option; RSI available 2001-2003.

2002 Turbo S added (with 180hp 1.8T, 6-spd, and special bumpers); Immo3.

2003 solid head-rests; convertible added with side-blinkers on mirrors.

2004 side-blinkers moved to mirrors for coupe; RSI dropped.

2005 Turbo S dropped; in-dash cassette replaced with CD.

2006 New bumpers, flatter fenders, different lights, and round gas flap; both 4-cyl gas (1.8T and 2.0L) engines dropped; non-turbo 5-cyl gas engine added.

2007 TDI dropped.

2008 minor options differences?

2009 unchanged?

2010 unchanged?

2011 Replaced by new new "Beetle" (2012 m.y.).

Hello, welcome to the Org.

I cant help too much, but:
1) I have not noticed where to hook an a-frame. Bumper removal might be a pain in the keester.
2)I believe all Turbo S had all the options including the sun?moon roof. Not sure it would have been deleted. There are some owners who have put Ts bumpers on just a standard Beetle, use a bit of caution..
3)I have an 02 1.8t DYCC, not sure about the turbo, or timing, but he was only available with a 5 speed manual... if my memory serves correct. Mine is a 4speed auto!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello, welcome to the Org.

I cant help too much, but:
1) I have not noticed where to hook an a-frame. Bumper removal might be a pain in the keester.
2)I believe all Turbo S had all the options including the sun?moon roof. Not sure it would have been deleted. There are some owners who have put Ts bumpers on just a standard Beetle, use a bit of caution..
3)I have an 02 1.8t DYCC, not sure about the turbo, or timing, but he was only available with a 5 speed manual... if my memory serves correct. Mine is a 4speed auto!
Thanks! I found a post and your DYCC looks awesome!
#1 is what I was afraid of, so I'll have to bring tools and give myself some extra time.
#2 is good to know and quite timely. Thanks!
#3 is the kicker. I guess if it's got the 6-speed, I won't care as much whether it's a real Turbo S or an imposter. Time will tell. After my original post, I did determine that all 1.8T engines after APH, whether Turbo S or not, did have VVT. As for the turbocharger (TO3 vs. TO3s) itself, I guess time may tell on that one too. I'd stay up later trying to figure it out (possibly from ETKA), but it sounds like my time would be better spent actually inspecting the car tomorrow. Cheers!

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,471 Posts
Thanks! I found a post and your DYCC looks awesome!
#1 is what I was afraid of, so I'll have to bring tools and give myself some extra time.
#2 is good to know and quite timely. Thanks!
#3 is the kicker. I guess if it's got the 6-speed, I won't care as much whether it's a real Turbo S or an imposter. Time will tell. After my original post, I did determine that all 1.8T engines after APH, whether Turbo S or not, did have VVT. As for the turbocharger (TO3 vs. TO3s) itself, I guess time may tell on that one too. I'd stay up later trying to figure it out (possibly from ETKA), but it sounds like my time would be better spent actually inspecting the car tomorrow. Cheers!
Good luck. You will LOVE The Ts six speed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Welcome to the great and wonderful ORG! Many fantastic cars, people and answers lurk in this great land. If you haven't done so already, take time to fill in your profile and post a few photos so we can ORGle them!!
Hello from the warm reaches of North Carolina!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Good luck. You will LOVE The Ts six speed.
I sure do! The 6-speed is awesome!

Owner said her mechanic diagnosed a bad head-gasket, and let me have it for a good price. After the lively test drive (during which it overheated) and purchase, I drove it 10 miles home with very light throttle and I'd guess no boost, but had to stop every couple of miles to let it cool. It could really use boost and coolant temperature gauges added. I think it has a virtually non-functional original water pump (lucky it was cold out), and perhaps that's the underlying issue. The T-belt might be on borrowed time due to the mileage (unless the original owner replaced it early, but VW has no record of it). I'm not even going to start it again until I get at least those new bits ordered and installed. Suspension felt *really* tight (nice)! While fixing interior mirror (how does one get that thing back into its socket, anyway?), I noticed a very innocuous "PCCA" sticker on the back of it. Looks kind-of stock. Anyone know what that might be about?

Only the Turbo S came with a 6 speed manual.
Thanks! The VIN decals in the Owner's Manual and trunk both say "GLX" (or was it GLS, I'll have to double-check), but also indicate AWP (180hp) engine and FML (6-speed) gearbox. It does NOT say "Turbo S" anywhere (not even on the trunk lid). The P.O. said the O.O. told her that it was just a "Sport" model, but it does appear to be a Turbo S in every other conceivable way (including two-tone leather interior, etc.). Moreover, CarFax reports "Turbo S". Does that make sense? I'm going to have to actually measure the front brakes to know which rotors to order. On further research into ordering parts, several places are listing 5 different trims for '02 Beetles: GL, GLS, GLX, Sport, and Turbo S. According to the parts places, 1.8T engines came in all trims, but the other engine choices (2L and 1.9TDI) only came in GL, GLS and Sport.

Welcome!

A couple things:
'98s did have fogs
'06s have much easier to remove headlight assemblies :)
Thanks! I've corrected my original post re '98 fogs. Is it possible that they were just an option for '98, but became standard later? '06 headlamp assemblies sound really nice! :) Do they require '06 fenders?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
Foglights were an option early on for sure. I didn't have them on my '99. Not sure if they were an option for all years or not though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Model Year stuff:
My friend's '99 has side blinker lights, so it looks like that was a mid-year (99.5) change. Updating first post accordingly.

Turbo S stuff:
Mine really is a Turbo S after all. The original owner seems to have removed the "Turbo S" from the rear trunk lid, but we noticed where the lettering used to be under just the right light.

Maintenance/repairs:
I just received my Gates Blue Racing timing belt and Graff all-metal (bronze impeller) water pump. I can't wait to get this done and put my Beetle on the road - hopefully by New Year's!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Fog lights were an option, my '05 gl and '06 gls do not have them.

'98s had a post to hold the hood up instead of the shocks that the later ones have, they also had round covers ocer the front tweeters in the a pillars.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My '02 NB TS Lives! But, it's temporarily trapped and has some minor issues.

Background:

Bought car early last month. Limped home. Parked in unheated garage. Ordered parts. Installed new all-metal water pump (WP) and timing belt (TB) this month. Can't get out of ice-blockaded garage for a shakedown run just yet, but trying to address the other minor issues in the meantime.

Car was parked in bitter cold for a few weeks. New remote (2032) battery. Gas flap switch works fine, but none of the other door switches seem to have any effect. Remote buttons flash red remote light, but also seem to have no effect on the car. This is particularly odd since the PO demonstrated opening the hatch with the remote by holding the middle button for a couple of seconds, but it hasn't worked at all for me. Car starts and runs fine with the same key. Underdash spoiler switch may also have no effect (although spoiler light in cluster is on). Unfortunately, the only service manual I have that's even close is a Haynes Golf/Jetta IV manual, but it doesn't really cover New Beetle.

Questions:

1) How can I open the hatch?

2) Which fuses and/or wiring might I check?

Progress:

I installed the Gates Racing timing belt (TB) and Graf all-metal water pump (WP) on my NB TS after watching a YouTube vid for a NB 2L and reading a very thorough 1.8T TB DIY thread on VWVortex. The old water pump was OE plastic, and no longer splined to the shaft. In a way, the PO (and I) were both rather lucky that the WP failed, or the timing belt would have let go any day. It was also OE VW, had 109.4K on it, and was riddled with small flex cracks. I'm surprised that her VW dealer didn't do a TB when she was in at 77K to 95K. Are they really still holding to the 105K interval after all the early failures? From the looks of it, this one was just plain lucky to have surpassed it! Had I realized it was so bad, I wouldn't have even risked starting it to pull the fuel pump fuse (in prep for WP/TB R&R).

If I ever have to do a VW WP again, the one change I'd make is to plan ahead and buy a special tool to remove the OE WP. I read somewhere that DieselGeeks sells some special screws, but haven't yet seen them up close. It took quite a bit of prying to get that old OE WP out, and I accidentally snapped off the CPS in the process. Otherwise, everything went surprisingly well.

An unexpected surprise was that the entire underbody looks literally like new! It turns out that this was a southern car until 2010, and amazingly none of the floor had ever been damaged by improper lift or jack placement. Lucky day - I'm extremely happy! I actually feel guilty about my plans to drive it this winter, but I might not be able to anyway since my garage is blockaded by mountains of ice that the snow plow could not overcome. We'll try again when it gets above freezing for a day or so, whenever that might be...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts