NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. My 2015 alt is 140amps factory. 1.8t. fleet edition. I have a stereo system that is going to need more juice than I have now. I'm going to be doing the big 3 upgrade once I find a hi output alt for it. That's the issue I'm having. Finding one that's not a Chinese one. I need at least a 220amp. I would like to be at 250 maybe 300amps for the future. I can find a 180amp. But that's not going to work out for long. I am going to be adding a second battery at some point down the road. That's why I want to get a hi output alt so it can keep up with the demands. Thanks for any information

·
Registered
13,662 Posts
We haven't discussed or gone into much of this type of modification on this site; I'm sure, VWVORTEX, probably has info on this type of thing, as that site is heavily geared towards the mod/show crowd.

That being said, I did a quick google and one place, popped up a alternator upgrade here:

That unit, seems to be for the first generation New Beetle; you might contact them, for your 2015 model and see what solutions that they have.

Mechman™ High Output Alternators and
SSA® Alternators; seem to be popular companies that made high output alternators for power hungry applications.

Otherwise, I would just start contacting; all of these stereo/auto electric specialty shops and see what they have to offer:

Based upon, the product photos I am seeing; it maybe a case, where they just make standard high output alternators and make custom brackets, to fit that many automotive applications needed.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 😊 ya I looked at them already. Everything I see online is for the 'NB'. I've called several places around here and I can't even find anyone that will redo my stock alt. I've looked at VWVORTEX too. 🙄 So it's going to be a custom order thing. So that's not going to happen$$$$. I took that out so I don't mess up stuff. But I'll keep searching. Thanks 😊

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Update on the issue. After researching and discussing this with several stereo shops. I decided to go with an extra battery in the back. It's not a ' car ' battery. It's a battery made for radio systems in vehicles with issues like I had. My lights don't dim nor does my voltage drop off when I am really jamming out. The sound is way better because now it's a constant voltage and it's not fluctuating. Granite if I go up to 4-6k watt's. I will have to get a second battery. But I don't see that happening. I'm going to be doing the big 3 upgrade plus looking forward to running 1/0 for my main power and ground to the back. I am using 4/0 now, which is fine. But I really want to use 1/0 cable ofc. But for that I'm going to be pulling out the seats and putting in more sound deadening. I gosh. I need to vacuum.🤦 I have another amp over some. I think that in all I have close to 3k in watts 🤗 I'm a SQ guy. So it's a nice balance of bass with the rest of the sounds. Nothing over powers the other sound.
received_569298627137885.jpeg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts