NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi you all,
Me too of course a bug-driver. Mine is a 2005 GL blue beetle with satellite radio. I love my bug ;) Well everyone here loves their bugs.
I had a 2003 GL before. The alarm system was not that annoying as the new ones now. As I said, I love my bug but I hate its alarm when sometimes I just don't wanna have my seat belt on. "Oh, shut up." is a frequent conversation I have with my bug.
I asked my dealer and they said they were not allowed to turn it off for safety issues. So I've put up with it for 10 months. But if anyone knows how it can be turned off, please kindly share your trick, I'll be very very thankful.

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
The trick is buckling up. :p

Please don't disable it. Turn the radio up, sing, anything else, to wait for the chime to stop. Or, just buckle up.

The game I play, is "How Fast Can I Click It?", (after the car is started)How many dings did it take.... Or, I just buckle up before starting up, and avoid it altogether.

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
I have my chime disabled because of my stereo system. I have to start my car now to listen to my sub, so there's a lot of of times when I DON'T want the chime on. However, I wear my seatbelt 100% of the time. There are ways to disable it, if you have a VAG-COM. The dealer won't because there is a safety factor involved. If you forget to put your seatbelt on, get into an accident without your seatbelt on, and for some weird chance in hell that your insurance company looks at your ECU to get crash data (yeah, the 05s store all sorts of neat stuff like top speed, max revs, and decel rates...the dealer showed me all this when I brought my car in to get the radio fixed...they wanted to disallow my radio claim because I've hit some speeds that aren't exactly legal), and they see the chime disabled (it's based in your ECU), then they can disallow the claim, and if the dealer disabled it, they'll lose their license.

My take: wear your seatbelt, and unless you have a large stereo system that needs the car on, keep the chime. It's saved me more than once from a ticket in several cars.

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
classyblue said:
but I hate its alarm when sometimes I just don't wanna have my seat belt on.
When you "just don't wanna have your seatbelt on"?!?
Driving with your seatbelt off is not only a danger to yourself, but a danger to everyone on the road around you. Please never drive without your seatbelt buckled.

If you're talking about not being buckled when you're just sitting in your driveway with the engine off... that's different. But the problem is easily solved. Just don't put the keys in the ignition. Even without the keys in the ignition, you can still listen to your stereo, etc... so there's really no reason to power your bug up unless you're going to actually drive somewhere... in which case, you should be wearing your seatbelt.

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
Steinola said:
When you "just don't wanna have your seatbelt on"?!?
Driving with your seatbelt off is not only a danger to yourself, but a danger to everyone on the road around you. Please never drive without your seatbelt buckled.

If you're talking about not being buckled when you're just sitting in your driveway with the engine off... that's different. But the problem is easily solved. Just don't put the keys in the ignition. Even without the keys in the ignition, you can still listen to your stereo, etc... so there's really no reason to power your bug up unless you're going to actually drive somewhere... in which case, you should be wearing your seatbelt.
Carl-agreed. :)

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
The Cheat said:
Carl-agreed. :)
Hey Justin... just as an aside... you might have someone look at your stereo. There should've been a way to power your system via a power control circuit so that your subs are powered whenever your headunit is on.

That's assuming that a) your aftermarket headunit was installed to behave like the OEM deck (being able to turn it on independently from the ignition), and b) your subs aren't soooo beefy that they'd drain your battery within 5 minutes ;)

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
I still have my factory headunit. :)

It's the sub that will drain the battery...1800watts will do that. :) It's still set up so I can listen to music without the key on, but it just isn't the same without a sub...especially because I enter the car in sound-offs. ;) Many people fiind it hard to believe that all I've done is add a sub to Jenna. :)

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
The Cheat said:
It's the sub that will drain the battery...1800watts will do that.
Yeah... I kind of figured that as I was typing my message. I went "doh... the sub'll probably drain his battery". Ah well.

The Cheat said:
Many people fiind it hard to believe that all I've done is add a sub to Jenna. :)
If you get around to it... you might post a how-to or photo recap of how you did it to the car audio forum or the how-tos. I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in how you added that sub! :goodjob: ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When do I want the seatbelt off? When I temp park by the sideway or on the drive way, waiting for my passengers or seeing them get out of my car. Some situations are also possible, such as that I need to take off the seat belt in order to turn my body to reach things on the back seat.
Of course, I always have my seatbelt on when driving.
Actually the seatbelf saved my life last year in a car accident (so I lost my 03 beetle). I mean I know the importance of the seatbelt but the chiming is annoying especially it "surprises" my passengers from time to time.

Maybe someone can design it better so that the alarm will be initiated only when the car is moving.

·
Send Money
1,135 Posts
Would you believe.. I have never heard my seat-belt chime go off. When you say temp. park, do you actually mean put the gearshift in park, or do you simply stop at the roadside and leave it in gear with your foot on the brake?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Because your bug is not a 2005 model.
I had a 2003 beetle before and there was no annoying alarm system.
My beetle now (2005 GL) beeps as long as the seatbelt is off while the engine is on.

Anyway, I still love my beetle. If I can't remove the chime, I'll put up with it. Every time I saw it when I walked close to it, its big smile made me smile :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts