NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Beetlebug about a month ago, after I was in an accident. My old car didn't make it... But, wow! I adore the Beetle. I've washed and waxed and cleaned and vacuumed this car more in the month I've had it than all of my other cars combined. My affection for this paticular car outweighs my laziness. :D I've also noticed I tend to get terriorial when people ask to drive it. How about you guys? Do your brows lower when your friends want to drive your Beetles? :rolleyes:

It really needs some work, though! Wish I had fistfuls of cash to throw at it, yeah? If I knew anything about cars, I'd get in there and fix everything myself. :p

Tell me this feeling doesn't faaade! Lol.

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
If you see my sig, below, you will learn that the love, for a lot of us, doesn't fade. I keep coming back!

Tell us about your NB. Year, color, engine, interior, Pics!

Welcome to the Org, and Welcome to the New Beetle!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 2005 NB 2.0 in silver. It's an automatic, but it's got a manual override thingie (?). Do they all have that? I honestly would have loved one of the blue ones, but I couldn't find one locally. Silver is just as nice, though!

The interior is cloth, and I'm not liking it one bit. Leather may be terrible here in the summer in the South, but I wouldn't have to worry about these terrible water stains! I'd love to switch them out eventually, but I'm more worried about the other things it needs. I'm having the timing belt and water pump replaced this week, and I need to get new headlights. One is cracked or something. Water gets in it and fogs it up really badly. The other is yellow. It's totally goofy looking. One's foggy and white--the other is yellowed. :eek:

I've also got a busted fog light, and if I knew what to buy, I have a friend who says he can replace it. :D

·
ToD Maiden Voyager
4,916 Posts
It's a 2005 NB 2.0 in silver. It's an automatic, but it's got a manual override thingie (?). Do they all have that? I honestly would have loved one of the blue ones, but I couldn't find one locally. Silver is just as nice, though!

The interior is cloth, and I'm not liking it one bit. Leather may be terrible here in the summer in the South, but I wouldn't have to worry about these terrible water stains! I'd love to switch them out eventually, but I'm more worried about the other things it needs. I'm having the timing belt and water pump replaced this week, and I need to get new headlights. One is cracked or something. Water gets in it and fogs it up really badly. The other is yellow. It's totally goofy looking. One's foggy and white--the other is yellowed. :eek:

I've also got a busted fog light, and if I knew what to buy, I have a friend who says he can replace it. :D
Headlights and the replacement fog lights can be found on eBay for quite reasonable. Reflex Silver is my favorite NB color

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Headlights and the replacement fog lights can be found on eBay for quite reasonable. Reflex Silver is my favorite NB color
What's reasonable? The fog lights I think I need are about seventy a piece, and the headlights all seem the run about two-twenty or so each. Hah, maybe I am just looking in the wrong places? That combined with my timing belt and water pump replacement is taking a nice bite out of my wallet. :)

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
My affection for this paticular car outweighs my laziness.
OMG, that is too funny... I love it
!!!

You're definitely an orger- glad to have you along. Hope to see a ton of pics in the very near future... like today, or shortly thereafter:D

Post often, and hopefully we'll see you at one of our bonza get togethers (GtG):wave2:

·
ToD Maiden Voyager
4,916 Posts
What's reasonable? The fog lights I think I need are about seventy a piece, and the headlights all seem the run about two-twenty or so each. Hah, maybe I am just looking in the wrong places? That combined with my timing belt and water pump replacement is taking a nice bite out of my wallet. :)
I've seen the fogs (new) for your year for as little as $44 per side. I've seen headlights for $125 or so. Neither would be genuine VW parts, but aftermarket made to OEM specs. Look and fit like OE. You just have to keep looking or set youself up with eBay's auto notification so you'll get an e-mail whenever either item gets listed.

·
Jude's Momma
26 Posts
Ive had SO many problems with my newly named NB...however - i find that this NB is really ... quite ... ME. I have a ton of problems/issues - and Jude has been very good to me thus far. When I got him ... I had to start him --- and like, let him "heat" up...bc he didnt want to go. So I had a few issues kinked out with the mechanic, and he runs so much better. I still have some issues - he cries (leaks unknown fluid) and he has no A/C (in SOUTH FLORIDA!!!) But he's been good to me ... as thus far, Ive been good to him. I dont have money to dump into him, I wish I did - but I love this car dearly. I bought him after a 6 months hiatus of no driving (the ex took the "family" car after a military deployment and left me with nothing to transport my kids) and although he isnt perfect - he was just the blessing I needed. Be patient with your NB...it all works out in time - and ive found thus far, there are so many people here with so much knowledge about NBs the kinks will get worked out...ENJOY!!

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
It's a 2005 NB 2.0 in silver. It's an automatic, but it's got a manual override thingie :D
Your NBs transmission is the 6-speed Tiptronic. Congrats! Moving the lever to the right, from drive, tipping it up or down, shifts up or down. Just remember when you're in that!
In the normal mode, you also have the "S" mode, that means "sport". In that mode, it will shift at higher RPMs, for those quick takeoffs..... :D

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
Yea! Like TODAY would be a GREAT day for that! HAHA! :)
:lol:
Well I guess I was speaking from my point of view. I'm good for taking pics while standing in the rain, wading in puddles, laying on the pavement, in the dark of night; all for the perfect pic. I guess 106+ heat index in Florida wouldn't hurt either:rolleyes::lol:.

Then again, Buttercup has been in the shop since May and will be there for a while more. I'd be happy to take pics of Her right now, in any environment:(.

BTW, your post about Jude and your life with him- very nice and inspiring:). All the best to you, your kids and to Jude:).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll post pictures when I can get my computer back up. I'm playing on the work computer. Haha, everything is kinda crazy for me right now. I moved, wrecked my car, had my phone mysteriously die on me, and got a new job all between May and June. :( I'm still playing catch-up on... everything. Haha, I need someone to bake me cookies before I pull all of my hair out.

Oh, but I do have a question: can a battery really affect the accelerator sensor thing on a Beetle? I thought a battery just started a car--if the battery had enough chutzpah to start the engine, it's good. There's no such thing as battery that's "too small." If it is, it just won't start the car. Right?

My point is, the car had a goofy battery in it at the dealership. I tested it when it had the battery that was "too small" in there, and the transmission was awful! It had this huge delay in when I would depress the gas pedal and when the car would accually accelerate. The RPMs would also randomly shoot up to 4-5. They switched the batteries out--all of this stopped immediately. It's been fine since I bought it. No hiccups, smooth shifting, happy driver.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welcome to the forum! I'm new too and also bought my NB last month.
I'm assuming from your icon that you got a blue one? I am super jelly! I love that color! I bet my silver one can go longer without a wash before you notice it's dusty, though. ;)

·
'Mary Jane' 08 Blue SE
34 Posts
Yea, it's laser blue. I really wanted a green one but I'm in love with this one. You're right about it staying clean. I just had it detailed earlier this week so it's looking like new for now!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts