VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much research ,I have discovered that I am not the only person with HID headlight issues. My daughter's 2004 beetle has a left HID that went out. I have searched info till I'm blue in the face , so my question is this, Can the OEM HID light system be removed and halogen oem lights installed? I found several beetles at the U-Pull-It that have light assemblies and wiring harnesses still on the car. After troubleshooting the problem, i have come to the conclusion that the ballast is bad ,but it's $400 bucks for a new one . Can it be converted? Is there an aftermarket ballast available? Is the same ballast used in Audi/mercedes/range rover etc...but different part number? any help is appretiated. Thans in advance

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
DO NOT ditch the HID's.

Also make sure they are not aftermarket.

What model do you have? Turbo S?

Figure out how to find a used ballast or check the Retrofit Source and see if they have a solution.

They may have info on what can be substituted, might be worth a call to them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
bump in same position, these HID systems are a joke and a half. Pretty sure driver side ballast is out in my gf's 05' TDI, they are OEM. I am about to spend the rest of the day pulling the bumper to find the ballast, its not visible like the passanger side one, to check the wiring.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Bump again. 2001 NBC. Left HID inoperable, but works in the Right side. Right H/L doesn't work in the left side. Does have power to the H/L connector. Pretty close to just getting aftermarket LEDs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
lol we literally sold the car because we couldn't fix the left HID and a few other lights went out with good bulbs. new ballast, new bulb, wiring all looked fine. JUNK. Got $1k for it with minor rear collision damage and a million other things wrong with it so no complaints!

I bought new ballasts and bulbs and it didn't solve the issue, swapping left headlight to right for testing and it works just fine.

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
If you can't figure it out, while we don't recommend the vw dealer for most repairs; it might be worth, have them do a diagnostic on it, to pinpoint them problem and then, replacing the needed parts yourself? We have seen a uptick, on this site with people; having HID issues, I would assume; the VW dealers, have dealt with this before and maybe, able to help.

I haven't looked at the VW eRWin service manuals but maybe, the factory VW manuals, have some testing and troubleshooting info or diagnostic flow chart, that might help, you fix things?

I've seen online shops that can repair modules, offering a repair service for them; if they are too expensive from VW and then, I have seen aftermarket versions by Bosch, of the ballasts, that look to be oem, that cost less but seem to be the same parts. The research, I have done online; it looks like Bosch, is the oem for VW for the HID light system?

A quick google; reveals, a shop, that sells oem replacement parts, for the HID system?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts