NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've got a 2000 Beetle and planning to install the HID kit for the headlight as well as the fog light. Will the regular 5000K - 6000K H1 kit(for headlight) and 3000K H3 kit(for fog light) works? I did some research and some post mentioned about DRLs and relay kit, what's that :confused: I also heard that it might overheat and melt the plastic parts near by, is that true?

Also, is there anyone knows any good mechanics in Van Nuys(CA) or San Diego(CA) area, since I don't think I could install that myself...;)

Thanks! Any suggestion would help!

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
All bulbs are H1. Going to 6000K is reducing light output, OEM units are around 5000K.

·
20V GTRS
1,120 Posts
Your bulb choice should be fine. As far as the DRLs, you can click here to see different ways to disable them. Also would recommend getting a euro headlight switch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!!

Just want to confirm 1 more thing, has anyone try installing the HID kit for the foglight? the reason I ask is looks like the foglight itself is a standalone component, not sure how the HID bulb will fit into it...

·
Probably MIA
2,800 Posts
I detest kits...but I've had that argument here before and wont get into it now. If you want to know how to get HID's the right way...send me a PM and we'll talk.

If you take the easy way out and get a kit...please make sure and get a relay harness so you dont fry your stock wiring and possibly burn your car to the ground. Some "decent" kits include a relay harness, most dont. Try to find one that does.

If you know how to make connections and solder I can help you out with making a harness. If not, I wouldnt get HID's...or pay me or someone else to make a relay harness for you. Basically it just consists of some wires and a relay (aka a switch). The relay gets triggered by one of the stock headlight wires, which causes it to pull power directly from the battery and sends it to the HID ballasts.

Here's an approximate (and crappy) wiring diagram to help you visualize it:

·
Super Splat Inc.
71 Posts
Im currently running a 10k HID kit with DRL's still operational. Ive had no complaints about them even though I got them for $55.oo shipped. I was thinking about doing an 8k HID kit in the fog lights, but i'll be cutting them out for my FMIC soon. Just be careful not to burn bridges here, you wouldnt want to sink money into an HID kit for fog lights if your planning on doing bigger mods. By the way, a 10k HID kit looks great with the projector style headlights. Very clear view and looootsss of light lol

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
The NB foglights are not designed for HIDs. Why would you bother? Really? It "looks cool"? :eek13: Come on.

You install HIDs in order to see better, not to "look great". If you're running 10000K then you honestly have reduced output compared to OEM HIDs, and are only interested in causing glare and eyestrain on other motorists. I see the jokers with purple and sapphire headlights all the time and quite frankly it's idiotic. :eek13:

Go read this, not that you seem to care: intellexual net · m k i v

·
Keep It Real
1,746 Posts
The best headlight (low beam only) HID Kelvin temperature for clarity and crisp usable white light is a 4100K/4300K, the higher Kelvin temperature bulbs may look pretty to on-comers but the higher the temperature number beyond 4300k the lower the usable light.

I have dealt with xenondepot.com and have used their products for many years, they are an excellent place to source very high quality lighting equipment that is also cost friendly.

Checkout their HID kit that includes 2-water proof digital ballasts, 2-Philips HID H1 bulbs, bulb grommets for bulb in headlight housing installation and a complete dual relay/fuse wiring harness, I have installed there kit and used it on my car for about 6 years... :thup:

The best thing you can do for the stock fog lamps would be to replace the stock bulbs with PIAA extreme white bulbs, they have a similar hue to the HID's, they display a much crisper more intense usable light with the same current draw as the stock bulb.

·
Keep It Real
1,746 Posts
I mounted my ballast units inside of the front fender wells behind the fender liners upside down on the metal body structures, I securely routed all wiring, sorry but I don't have pictures at this time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts