NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
First Car! Emil!
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there have been questions on this before but so many of them seem to be 1-2 years
old and I know how fast technology changes nowadays so I was just wondering if there have been any updates from the older posts.

I'm looking to upgrade my halogen projectors to HID projectors. I currently have HIDs stuffed into my halogen projectors and their performance is below adequate to say the least. I love getting in my parents cars with OEM Bi-Xenon projectors because the light control is infinitely better than mine.

I was looking on the retrofitsource and found these Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (H1) - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc

But I imagine install being a little more difficult because Im thinking I'm going to have to replace the whole projector (which means removing everything including the hi beam H1 bulb). And not to mention it's pretty pricey, although my birthday is coming up soon:D

When I looked on this site I saw people saying they just got DS2 HID projectors and it worked for the fraction of retrofitsource. Is this true? Do they work as well?

Do I NEED to get Bi-Xenon? And if I do how will I engage them?
I feel like the retrofitsource would be a safer purchase because you get the whole kit but I've been ripped off online before. I just want to educate myself as much as possible before my purchase so ANY knowledge with New Beetle HID retrofit is welcome :cool:

:wave2:

·
Registered
99 Posts

·
First Car! Emil!
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We are actually going to use this kit which seems to have better performance than the mini.
There are 2 threads worth looking at on TDI club as well. New Beetle Bi-xenon FX-R retro - TDIClub Forums and this thread that started out as minis but ended up being FX-R Mini Bixenons in my New Beetle! - TDIClub Forums
Hope that helps.
Keep me updated on yours.
I really want to do this but I'm hesitant because its pretty expensive and I feel like it's going to be way harder than it leads on..

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
bump

I am extremely interested in the first kit you mentioned.. The Morimoto Mini H1 looks like it would be a good fit, but I can't tell if the depth would work or not.

I'm very to new all of this, maybe someone with experience building these could chime in?

What kind of work are we looking at for going bi-xenon vs just the low beam? what extra parts are needed?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I am thinking about doing a retrofit myself on my car.

I read the entire thread on the TDI forum and it appears the FX-R is the way to go. As for the Bi- Xenon it is pretty straight forward, pretty much just connecting the high beam wiring to the FX-R shutter.

Now this all being said, any retrofit can be a challenge and will require someone to have the ability to perform wiring, soldering, read wiring diagrams and fabricate. You also need to adjust the headlights and apparently beam rotation can be a challenge. You may have a lot of trial and error if the beam is rotated as you may have to pull the headlights out many times to get the rotation sorted?

A few things I have yet to sort out is there are 2 FX-R sizes, not 100% sure what size is needed for the New Beetle and my car currently has the DRL enabled on the low beams. I assume the DLR can be disabled with VAG-Com or some other software? I think the DLR as is will be a problem as the light control module probably limits the current and/or Voltage to the stock H1 bulbs?

So the question is then do I just make the DLR the Xenon's on all the time? Do I use the High Beam H1 as DLR with diodes to drop the Voltage so the High Beam DLR are only about 25% brightness? Do I install some of the LED DLR strips somewhere in below the bumper? Do I use the fogs at a reduced output as DLR?

I believe that DLR are a good thing and would want something to replace the current DLR on my car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts