VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
My other VW is a VW
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been on here in a while, been busy with life and haven't been playing with my Beetle too much.
I picked up a HID upgrade for my daughters 05 Passat and I just love how they perform so I decided since I got a new set of headlamps for the Beetle why not upgrade her with HID's.

I ordered the kit from Amazon, OPT7 Kit with relays and capacitors. This is the 55W 5000k setup, nice and bright white without being blue. Best $69.95 I have spent in a long time!

Install was pretty straight forward with only a few modifications needed. Finding room to burry the equipment was the hardest part.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I just did a 4300K HID changeover yesterday, but the headlights seem quite dim (as were the original halogen bulbs); hi-beams put a lot more light on the road in comparison. Patterns are indistinct, with lots of artifacts. I suspect the headlight optics, themselves, are shot. I'm not looking forward to having to replace them ($$$!). OEM (Hella) seem like the only way to go, all other third-party headlights are junk.
Furthermore, the internal harnesses are shot - insulation is disintegrating. Any luck with rebuilding them with heavier-gauge wire? Replacement harnesses appear to be made of the same dental floss wire.
Ideas?
The source: 55W HID Xenon Headlight Conversion Kit H1 H3 H4 H7 H10 9005 9006 880 881 9004 7 | eBay

1 - 3 of 3 Posts