NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my wife's car had the low beam bulb go out a couple weeks ago on the drivers side headlight, so she drove the car around with her high beams on, and since those worked she hadn't asked me to fix it. Yesterday the passenger's side high beam went out, so she was driving with the driver's high beam and the passenger's side low beam on.

Today I was checking her bulbs, and of course her drivers side low beam's bulb filament was broken, but both the high beam bulbs were fine, and all fuses in the driver's side of the dash were fine, wtf? So to test the high beam bulbs I swapped them from passenger to driver's side and vice-versa, and now the high beams stay on constantly until you shut the ignition off, as if they were regular driving lights, the high beam switch is off, but the high beams are stay on, fuses in the cabin are good, the high beam light on the cluster is on but a bit dim I think.

She had to go to work so I had to leave it like that, at least she has lights right? Lol.

Any thoughts as to why this is happening? I don't want to leave it like that, I fear something will melt or burn. Tomorrow morning I'll buy a replacement for her low beam and try switching the high beam bulbs back and see it that keeps them from staying on.

Point is the bulbs are fine yet the driver's side high beam doesn't work and switching the bulbs from side to side cause them to stay on constantly.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Sounds like a ground issue, maybe. Check the ground point for the circuit and make sure it is good. For the circiuit to operate differently when you swap sides, something is going on in the bulb socket (they started out identical) or with the plug. And the fact that one (with a good filament) wasn't lighting is confirmation of either this or the ground issue. Maybe swap the bulbs being used in high beam position to low beam position and see what happens that way. Quite possibly replacing all the bulbs will solve the problem.
If new bulbs don't resolve the issue, post up and someone can walk you through checking the circuit for voltage at each bulb, and checking the circuit for ground continuity.

MORAV

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did notice the conduit on the ground and power wires is really brittle, some areas are really cracked some wires are completely bare, none of the wires are touching each other but I'm going to redo that anyways. I'll post up some pics.

I don't know how I miss this bit of info in my original post duh! You mentioning the ground issue reminded of it, but like I said none of the wires touched each other.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Hopefully someone with a similar experience will come along with some info for you about the dryrotted/brittle insulation and bare wires (age, heat, and exposure). While perhaps nothing has shorted out, I'm now even more certain you have some contact/connection, and quite possibly some ground issues. I think www.ecstuning.com maybe has a kit for headlight wiring replacement. You can probably redo the wiring yourself, but the plugs are going to be the snag. They are probably in a similar condition. I have read any number of threads about this problem. Maybe post up a new thread, something like "Help: headlight wiring toasted!", might get more attention from someone with an answer or better input.

M.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well some of the wires were bare and touching each other, I cut them out and soldered new wires in.

But now the car doesn't start, I mean it starts but dies two seconds later. Wtf?

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts