NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Ylello
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, please help if you can!!

This evening while we were out at the store, we got back in Ylello and when I started up, I noticed she was idling a little rough but chalked it up to being cold and damp.

Then when I shifted into 1st, she would barely go more than 5 miles per hour. I turned back into the parking lot, and suddenly she surged forward. I drove around the parking lot and had no issues shifting from 1st to 3rd and back to park. I turned her off and waited about 15 minutes...same thing happened. Rough idle in park, no go in gear, then surge.

I probably did the wrong thing, but since I was an hour from home; I commute, I drove her home on the highway..had no issues but never turned her off again. I do notice if I take my foot off the gas at all it's a very rough de-acceleration.

Back in the shop she goes tomorrow. :(

Just need ideas as to what we are looking at as far as possible issues. She has a new water pump, timing belt, all hoses are new, vacuum lines, etc. She did have the fuel pump replaced by previous owner I guess 3-4 years ago, so am wondering if that is what it is? It feels like she is not getting gas at times.

Thanks for any help you can give. I was stressed out the whole way home. :( Love this bug, but she is certainly a money pit. Kind of like my daughter. ;)

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
It sounds to me like it could be the fuel pump. How many miles since the last one was put in? When was the last time the fuel filter was replaced?

Does the fuel pump prime like it should when the driver's door is opened? As soon as the door is opened you should hear a whine from under the car for about 1 second and then shut off as the fuel pump pressurizes the lines. Once the lines are pressurized it may take 30 minutes or so of sitting for the pressure to go down enough for the pump to run again. The car may need to sit this long before opening the door will produce the sound again.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts