NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Permanoob
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I am looking at a 2004 Beetle Convertible with the 5MT 1.8T. It has 85k miles on it. I dont see many VWs with the 1.8T with over 150k miles on them, do they dissolve at that mark? :)

Seriously, if you keep up with the required maintenance, whats the life span on these cars?

·
Registered
303 Posts
I saw something about a 1.8T Jetta with 500K miles. I have seen several 1.8T cars for sale locally that have just under 200K mi. I would say that 200K+ isnt an unrealistic goal if the car is well maintained.

·
Permanoob
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice! I havent seen any with that many miles. I just wonder if its the engine or the multitude of other systems that give out. For 9k, it seems like a decent deal. Of course I would offer less and get it in for the requisite timing belt/water pump service as its likely not been done. I also like that its the manual transmission. Could be pretty fun when chipped :)

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
150k+ is no problem. I have 130k on my GTI and its still going very, very strong. Just got it chipped a few weeks ago too. I've seen a number of people with near 200k on their 1.8Ts. As said before, its all about the maintenance. Make sure the timing belt stays up to date, VW spec synthetic oil is used, 5k oil change intervals, the right spark plugs, etc.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Most convertibles are not daily drivers/high mileage cars, many are even garage queens.

One reason many of these car meet an untimely demise is lack of maintenance, timing belt failures, automatic transmission problems, oil pick ups clogging up, and sometimes general abuse.

In addition, make sure the engine thermostat is replaced, cool running engine temperature have also been a known issue and have caused problems.

·
Permanoob
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Most convertibles are not daily drivers/high mileage cars, many are even garage queens.

One reason many of these car meet an untimely demise is lack of maintenance, timing belt failures, automatic transmission problems, oil pick ups clogging up, and sometimes general abuse.

In addition, make sure the engine thermostat is replaced, cool running engine temperature have also been a known issue and have caused problems.
I want to buy this one for my daily driver, so I would be putting about 15k a year on it. For at least a few years :)

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
My vert(s) are daily drivers.

Unfortunately I was cursed by the VW demons on my Beetle, but I forge ahead.

Had oil pick up clog up, but this is really an issue of a bad thermostat and not knowing it for at least 2 years and automatic transmission valve body problems, which is kind of "normal".

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
whaat?

1.8T 5 speed with 190k miles using regular dino oil and still have the original trans fluid, shifts normal. Original clutch too may I add. It's all about how well you maintain it.......:D

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
1.8T 5 speed with 190k miles using regular dino oil and still have the original trans fluid, shifts normal. Original clutch too may I add. It's all about how well you maintain it.......:D
But Esse, you are also likely driving in some VERY optimum circumstances, so be careful as most of us do not have the climate, uncongested roads or the commute you may have.

Most folks do not average close to 20k miles a year/50 miles a day. Many live in much colder climates and also in much more congested cities.

For example there is NO WAY a clutch would last 190k miles in any car driving in any of the larger suburban areas of the county like Boston, NYC, Washington DC, Atlanta, San Francisco. My wife's 8 mile commute take here 30-45 minutes and although she has an automatic, likely for here 16 mile round trip commute, the transmission probably shifts close to 750 times or more due to all the stops and slow traffic you encounter.

Yes proper maintenance has a lot to do with how long a car will last, but it also has a lot to do with how the car is driven. Longer distance, highway miles are FAR easier on a car than city driving.

Good example of how a highway driven car can keep racking up the digits! This car averaged about 175 miles a day! No much city driving there?

3 million mile Volvo: Long Island man's P1800S won't quit (+video) - CSMonitor.com

·
Registered
303 Posts
Nice! I havent seen any with that many miles. I just wonder if its the engine or the multitude of other systems that give out. For 9k, it seems like a decent deal. Of course I would offer less and get it in for the requisite timing belt/water pump service as its likely not been done. I also like that its the manual transmission. Could be pretty fun when chipped :)
I think I saw the 500K jetta on youtube so...you never know if its all true. The main issue with age can be wiring problems as I have found. This can be true for any car though. That price sounds reasonable for the car. Our 05 vert was just under that. If you do the timing belt/WP with quality parts it should be trouble free for the most part especially with the manual trans. Our vert is my wifes DD and its been quite dependable so far. My 99 has 132K+ and runs very strong...in fact it feels just as strong as our 05 vert w/85K+. Both bugs are our daily drivers and both have been good cars so far. Not to say we havent had minor issues but overall nothing out of the ordinary

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
But Esse, you are also likely driving in some VERY optimum circumstances, so be careful as most of us do not have the climate, uncongested roads or the commute you may have.

Most folks do not average close to 20k miles a year/50 miles a day. Many live in much colder climates and also in much more congested cities.

For example there is NO WAY a clutch would last 190k miles in any car driving in any of the larger suburban areas of the county like Boston, NYC, Washington DC, Atlanta, San Francisco. My wife's 8 mile commute take here 30-45 minutes and although she has an automatic, likely for here 16 mile round trip commute, the transmission probably shifts close to 750 times or more due to all the stops and slow traffic you encounter.

Yes proper maintenance has a lot to do with how long a car will last, but it also has a lot to do with how the car is driven. Longer distance, highway miles are FAR easier on a car than city driving.

Good example of how a highway driven car can keep racking up the digits! This car averaged about 175 miles a day! No much city driving there?

3 million mile Volvo: Long Island man's P1800S won't quit (+video) - CSMonitor.com
Correct i was commuting long miles round trips to work mostly back country roads the problem there is i keep hitting rodents since the beetle is very low to the ground. We also get a lot of bugs in south texas so I need to remove the bugs every weekend...pita :p I live only 30 miles from HOUSTON city limits but I don't take Babyblue into Houston people drive like MANIACS in the freeways I always take my TACOMA With big tires folks don't muscle me out of the way when i drive that Truck, I muscle people out of the way LOL :D

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Yea, the point I wanted to make is these cars are capable of high mileage, BUT, depending on the driving conditions, some may require less maintenance than others.

Esse, BTW how many timing belts have you put on your car?

I know at least 1 but have you put more on your car?

·
Registered
205 Posts
170k of abused- traffic miles since December 2000. 2 timing belts/water pumps, radiator, shocks/struts, new bushings, a million oil changes (3k miles on organic, 5k on synthetic), she's still going. Yes, APR modified since 20,000k, I think. The paint still looks new. About to be for sale as well.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
x2 timing belt/water pump

Yea, the point I wanted to make is these cars are capable of high mileage, BUT, depending on the driving conditions, some may require less maintenance than others.

Esse, BTW how many timing belts have you put on your car?

I know at least 1 but have you put more on your car?
Two already, first at 80k then 160k miles. both kits from mjm autohous san antonio TX. great prices and great german parts.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Two already, first at 80k then 160k miles. both kits from mjm autohous san antonio TX. great prices and great german parts.
Esse,

I agree with the 80k timing belt service. Likely you will not have problems replacing them at this service interval.

But also keep an eye on oil leaks or unusual noises as well.

You may get lucky and make it much further than thank 80k, but the way I view the world, you WILL have to replace the timing belt and water pump, might as well do this on your terms and on your budget, if the belt goes it will be on the cars terms and likely you will sell the car at a great loss or spend about $3000 and 3-4 weeks repairing it!

For 1 broken timing below, you could have paid for 3 over the life of the car.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
hi-jacking

Esse,

I agree with the 80k timing belt service. Likely you will not have problems replacing them at this service interval.

But also keep an eye on oil leaks or unusual noises as well.

You may get lucky and make it much further than thank 80k, but the way I view the world, you WILL have to replace the timing belt and water pump, might as well do this on your terms and on your budget, if the belt goes it will be on the cars terms and likely you will sell the car at a great loss or spend about $3000 and 3-4 weeks repairing it!

sorry if we hijacked this thread.....
No oil leaks yet but I am thinking of removing the oil pan and cleaning the pickup tube screen, maybe one weekend when I get bored or something. I'll take pictures if I do.
well when I replaced the timing belt/water pump kit the last time the parts looked like they could have gone another 20k miles. I'm thinking of selling the car but if it does not sell I'll just keep it as a hobby car. I have it listed in craigslist houston area fyi

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts

This. This. This. I follow the Bentley's recommendations...6 years or 60k, whichever comes first. I don't put on a lot of miles so I go by the years. Its much much cheaper to do a timing belt job than a head job (at least!) if the belt or another component fails.

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts
sorry if we hijacked this thread.....
No oil leaks yet but I am thinking of removing the oil pan and cleaning the pickup tube screen, maybe one weekend when I get bored or something. I'll take pictures if I do.
well when I replaced the timing belt/water pump kit the last time the parts looked like they could have gone another 20k miles. I'm thinking of selling the car but if it does not sell I'll just keep it as a hobby car. I have it listed in craigslist houston area fyi
Be sure to list it HERE ON THE ORG CLASSIFIEDS TOO...there are fellow orgers looking for new beetles in your year range.

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
I'm about to hit 200k on my 1.8t. I've done the timing belt 3 times since I've had it, as well as other maintenance on time. I have very minimal problems with mine. I trust it to make drives across the country twice a year lol

·
C-Dub
39 Posts
I have 210K on my car still runs like new!:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts