VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 01 1.8T Sports NB. It is at about 138k miles. I bought it used at 121k from a small dealer. It only had one owner before me. I did not get any service records or anything from the guy cause I never got a chance to speak to him. I know at high mileage service is needed, but I do not know what exactly. How can I tell if the guy before me serviced it? & what should have been serviced?

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
and the sparkplugs,coils, struts, bushings,brakes etc. With that many miles and unknown history you are going to have to go thru the car system by system and check each out and make needed repairs divided as follows
1. must do now
2. need to be done soon
3. routine maintenance issues

If you don't feel comfortable checking it out find a good shop and see what they will charge to check it out and generate the info for you.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Might want to check/replace your vacuum lines if it still has the OE braided lines since they are a known issue with aging bugs

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
If that were my car I'd be looking to do a timing belt/water pump like yesterday!
Actually like a year ago would be even better :D

The timing belt service should have been performed around 75k miles. If it hasn't you are the luckiest person on the planet because your car is about to self destruct any second. I would check with the previous owner to see if the timing belt/water pump service was performed. Receipts of that service would be nice. There really isn't any visual way to confirm when or if the timing belt service was ever done. Once the belt does show signs of decay it is already too late.
So do yourself a favor and get that service taken care of ASAP. It's better to pay $750 now than $3000-$5000 later.

Here are all the parts that should be replaced during the timing belt service:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-New_Beetle--1.8T/Search/Timing_Belt_Kit/ES5954/

Don't order this kit unless you are doing it yourself. Most shops don't like for their customers to bring in their own parts.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
new beetle

welcome to the new beetle.org family u are in the right place if you like working on cars and doing your own repairs. lots of good folks here that can help u get that high mileage beetle up to speed. Good luck:) I would give u my two cents on what to replace/repair, but my list would be too long..LOL:D

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
welcome to the new beetle.org family u are in the right place if you like working on cars and doing your own repairs. lots of good folks here that can help u get that high mileage beetle up to speed. Good luck:) I would give u my two cents on what to replace/repair, but my list would be too long..LOL:D
Aww, come on.... Give us your list ;) :D

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
list

Aww, come on.... Give us your list ;) :D
Sorry indytom this S&%%%$ computer mess me up a while ago when I type in the long list and then when I try to post it, pooff it just cleared the whole thing and never posted my list....urrgg:rant2:

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Sorry indytom this S&%%%$ computer mess me up a while ago when I type in the long list and then when I try to post it, pooff it just cleared the whole thing and never posted my list....urrgg:rant2:
I hate when that happens. You can always write it down on a roll of toilete paper first and then scan it :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts