VW Beetle Forum banner

high RPM, slow engagement

2K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  guatsup 
#1 ·
I'm still very new to many car issues.

I have a '02 1.8T. I took her to get an oil change and tires rotated and when I got her back it takes about 5000 RPM to engage into the next gear or to even accelerate in the current gear-- RPMs jump rapidly with slight push on the gas.

I've had her for over two years now and had no warning signs of a slipping clutch, the (Goodyear) mechanic was talking about his VWs and how he keeps looking for new ones-- and I get mine back with a new problem :/

start up idle is normal (1200) drops to ~800 after warmed up.
1st and (half the time) 2nd gear don't have quick raising RPMs.
It takes about a minute to get 0-60 because of the raised RPMs and lag of "catching"

I hope it's a simple fix similar to changing idle RPMs...

Help :(

#4 ·
Well, if it is the original clutch; it could definitely be time for one. Have any friends or family; that could check it out for you? If not; you could take it to a shop and see if they can confirm the problem.

#9 ·
P0414 - secondary air injection system switching valve A circuit shorted
P0010- Camshaft Position Actuator Circuit / Open bank 1
P0418- Secondary air injection system control A circuit
P0445- Evaporative Emission System Purge control valve circuit shorted
P0037- Ho2S heater control circuit low bank 1 sensor 2
P0264/P0270/P0267/P0261- cylindar (2, 4, 3, 1 respectively) injector circuit low

I pulled the codes when my car didn't turn on twice in one week. and a few times in the 6 months prior I lost power while driving (I replaced all coils and spark plugs when I lost power driving a couple times)

#10 ·
#11 ·
yeah I've talked to two today from here and in Santa Cruz that I've worked with before- I have a feeling after this fix is going to be a new cat- I figure if I'll have her for another 20 years I might as well start off knowing extactly what's being done...

much to learn..
Thank you for your input today it has definately helped :) :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.