NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 02 tubo 1.8 Beetle has an automatic transmission. When I drive on the highway at 65mph the car is running at 3200 rpm's. You can almost watch the fuel gage go down. The car does fine on gas if I stay on the back roads where I can keep the rpm's down. The car shifts 3 times which means it's going in all gears. Does the Beetles have a lock up converter like other cars I an familiar with or is this the normal RPM range for this car. I bought the car for my daugter but it was costing to much in gas for her to drive it back and forth to school.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
There were 3 different automatic transmission combinations for these cars. 4, 5 & 6 speed automatic.

The 4 speed transmissions did rev a bit on the highway.

3200 RPM will use some fuel.

Yes almost all new automatics have lock up torque converters, if they have an overdrive gear, the will always have a lock up converter.

Should check this site for fuel economy ratings - Fuel Economy

I would say these cars are not as economical as they should or could be. I believe they are heavier than many people realize??

My 2003 1.8t GLX convertible gets about 21 MPG in town, however, I think on the highway it gets close to 27 MPG?

The other often overlooked problem with fuel economy on these or any car are weak thermostats causing the engine to run too cold. On the highway you will especially see problems as the engine may be running 30 degrees too cold.

You need a scan tool that can read real time data to verify the temperature. It should be close to 205F even while cruising on the highway.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.I just replaced the Thermostat ant CTS the other day. There was 2 options for the thermostat 180 and 195 degree. I purchased the OEM replacement.I hope it is a 195degree(no markings)that I installed,that is what I removed.Still had origional one. This thing is killing me on gas.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Only 3 automatics for these cars, 4, 5 & 6 speed. I know my 6 speed Tiptronic displays all the gears on the dash and will display what gear you are currently in. Certain years had limited transmission options, so not all transmissions were offer all years and in all engine and trim configurations.

Assume via VIN you should be able to determine what transmission is in the car.

You could check with the dealer and/or look for online VW VIN decoders for more info.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
I don't think the 5 speed auto was available in the NB. Only in the other mk4 cars, but I could be wrong.

4 speed is going to be a regular auto. 6 speed would be a tiptronic.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Smiley,

You are correct about only the 4 & 6 speed automatic.

5 & 6 speed manual were the other options.

Only 8 engine options as well! Maybe not all offered in all markets?

For some reason I had it in my head that there was a 5 speed automatic, however, I was incorrect about that.

This is the issue when they offer a body style for 12 year and have numerous running changes, too many things to keep track of!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got it. I guess I'll just have to stick to the backroads.Thanks for all the info,lots of help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts