VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I was wondering if anyone has had this problem before...
I have a 2001 1.8 turbo with about 167k miles, at higher speed accelerations (75-80mph) the car would very noticeably vibrate then about a month ago the passenger side engine mount bolts completely sheared off while I was driving so I replaced them thinking that this would solve the vibration problem. It did for a couple days, but now when accelerating anywhere from 45mph+ the car sounds like its going to fall apart from vibrating so much (when coasting at high speeds the car couldn't sound any smoother/normal).:mad::confused:

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
cv Axles

Yep, I had a similar issue I couldn't figure out and it wind up being the cheap CV axles I had just replaced 6 months earlier. One or both of your half shaft cv axles have too much free play and the motor starts vibrating around 40-60 mph. Good luck to ya.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
^+1 on the axle half shafts.

My money is at least your passenger side inner boot has been long torn.

Skip the cheap local parts store axle half shafts, they are nothing but a big headache.

Since you claim it coasts fine, but has a vibration under acceleration, the likely he problem is the axle half shaft.

Since your passenger side motor mount bolts broke, this could have also caused the actual axle shaft to get bent when the motor dropped down and was moving around.

Here is a picture of a very wasted axle with in inner boot that was long gone and a pretzel for an axle shaft.

Email Raxles, America's premier supplier of OE quality CV Axles and CV joints - Raxles Inc. and get a quote, the have pretty good pricing, or VW offers good quality reman axles as well if you can get the parts guys to give you a 25% discount it is worth it if you are close as the dealer will have the axle in a day or 2 typically.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.