VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
All this & I can cook too
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The water pump in BeetleJuice has a leak and I haven't had any spare time to dedicate to it so I decided I would call around and get some estimates for a WP and TB replacement. The first estimate I got from the local "recommended" vw shop was over $1100 !!!

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
Look up the list of "Gurus" on the TDI Club forum. 1.8T belts/pumps are cake to do compared to TDI. I did it myself on my wife's car. You should be at about 600, parts and labour from a guru. Hell, it's probably less than 1100 at a dealer.

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Personally I hope they are buying you dinner first.

Yes that seems very highball. Then again our local VW shop quoted me $240 to replace the thermostat, and when asked about replacement gooseneck for it? They boosted the price about $45-$75 more.

All things being equal? It's probably par for the course. But I personally think it's high.

S-

·
Super Moderator
14,832 Posts
Find yourself a good independant VW shop! Stat!

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
local mechanic

This is a long shot but might be worth looking into. Go to or call your local auto parts place and ask about any independant mechanics around town they should know cause those mechanics are usually the one's buying parts from them all the time. You go to an auto repair shop or the dealer and you'll end up paying too much.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't want to go to a mechanic with my VW if they are buying all their parts from Autozone. I know my mechanic doesn't!

$1100 is dealer prices. You should be paying more like $750 max for a 1.8T belt job at a good independent shop.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
I don't know about the 1.8T, but yes, $1100 and change is about right for a dealership with a 2.0. I'm one of those "genuine VW parts" people, and go the dealership for everything, because I figure most independent shops use cheaper imitation parts. I have no problems paying more for factory parts that were designed specifically for my car or more for labor by techs that know Volkswagens, especially here in "Ford N'Chevy country." :p Of course, if you have an old enough VW, some original parts become obsolete, and then you have no choice........

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
My mechanic uses OEM brand parts. Since parts aren't where they make their money, they aren't doubling or tripling the price for them, unlike the dealer. They'll also use aftermarket parts. Lots of aftermarket stuff is great quality, and can even be better than OEM. Often they give you the option, and will be straight up honest with you about quality of parts. Its all about knowing the parts. $1100 is a serious ripoff for a 2.0 belt change. I had mine done for less than $500 by my mechanic.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
One way to save money; is to get a oem Waterpump/timing belt kit from blauparts; if you get the plus kit, it will even have the vw specific coolant. G12/13 coolant can be somewhat hard to find (other than that your Volkswagen dealer); although lately Oriellys auto parts has been able to get Pentosin SF for us here, at the shop. www.blauparts.com[/

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
One way to save money; is to get a oem Waterpump/timing belt kit from blauparts; if you get the plus kit, it will even have the vw specific coolant. G12/13 coolant can be somewhat hard to find (other than that your Volkswagen dealer); although lately Oriellys auto parts has been able to get Pentosin SF for us here, at the shop. www.blauparts.com[/[/QUOTE] My limi...f they fail when you bring your own parts in.

·
All this & I can cook too
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The place that gave me such a high estimate was actually one of the trusted vw shops listed on the TDI forum. What a disappointment. I am tempted to tear into the repair myself, only with what little time I have to spare due to work, I would only be able to work on it here and there.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
buy the deluxe kit from BlauParts and do it yourself, save yourself a ton of dough! :)

I've come to the conclusion that the only way to maintain these old cars in a economically feasible way; is just fix them yourself and your repair costs are based on the parts only.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
$1100 is a serious ripoff for a 2.0 belt change. I had mine done for less than $500 by my mechanic.
The more I think about it, I had the TB, WP, and my 80K service all at once for $1100, because it was just before I did Roswell in 2011. I know good independent VW mechanics will do this stuff cheaper, but there aren't any where I live, and I won't take my Beetles to some place like Billy Bobs's Auto Repair.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
I've come to the conclusion that the only way to maintain these old cars in a economically feasible way; is just fix them yourself and your repair costs are based on the parts only.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
The way I look at it, I help VW's revenue, which is prudent if they are to keep making and selling the cars that we love.:D

·
His name is Poseidon
100 Posts
I just had this work performed and the parts from ECS were $287.95 and the labor to install was $661.00. Total out the door was $948.95.

I am not confortable trying this repair so it was off to the local VW repair place recommended by a member on the site. Place was great and I look forward to getting it chipped there as soon as I can save up the money. :p

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
I too found a Vw/Audi shop to do the WP/TB total cost out the door with parts included $540 "sale price" normal is $650 for the service. It is a 3hr drive to get there, but the money kept in my pocket is well worth the drive.

Sent from my Peace Love and "Six for Six" app

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
parts

I had this done to my beetle 5 years ago since I was living in an apartment at the time and didn't have the space to do it myself. Parts online were $200, labor was $250......no problems until I did it again myself at 160k miles. Parts online $170 labor-free. LOL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts