VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the engine light on my son's '99 NB came on last week, so I drove it all last week and this weekend and aside from some sputtering while idling it drove well. I finally got around to scanning it today (it has been in the teens for the last week) and here is what VCDS says...

Wednesday,13,January,2010,16:14:28:21564
VCDS Version: Release 908.1
Data version: 20091018

Chassis Type: 1C - VW New Beetle
Scan: 01 02 03 08 15 17 19 22 26 29 35 37 39 46 54 56 75

Mileage: 148710km/92404miles
--------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine Labels: None
Part No: 06A 906 018 JG
Component: MOTRONIC M5.9.2 HS V01
Coding: 00000
Shop #: WSC 05036

5 Faults Found:
16518 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1: No Activity P0134 - 35-00 - -
16826 - EVAP Emission Control Sys: Small Leak P0442 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16684 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected P0300 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16685 - Cylinder 1: Misfire Detected P0301 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
17536 - Fuel Trim; Bank 1 (Mult): System too Lean P1128 - 35-00 - -
Readiness: 0000 0000

Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 1J0-907-37x-ABS.lbl
Part No: 1J0 907 379 G
Component: ABS 20 IE CAN 0001
Coding: 03504
Shop #: WSC 00066

No fault code found.

Address 15: Airbags Labels: 1J0-909-60x-VW3.lbl
Part No: 1J0 909 609
Component: D AIRBAG VW3 SG 0002
Coding: 00068

1 Fault Found:
00532 - Supply Voltage B+ 07-10 - Signal too Low - Intermittent

Address 17: Instruments Labels: 1C0-919-xx0.lbl
Part No: 1C0 919 951 C
Component: KOMBIINST. M73 V23
Coding: 02242
Shop #: WSC 00000

No fault code found.

Address 46: Central Conv. Labels: 1J0-959-799.lbl
Part No: 1J0 959 799 AJ
Component: 5X Zentral-SG Komf. 0001
Coding: 00256

Part No: 1J2959802C
Component: 5X Tõrsteuerger. FS0001r

Part No: 1J2959801D
Component: 5X Tõrsteuerger. BF0001r

3 Faults Found:
01483 - Control Circuit for Rear Lid Remote Unlocking 25-10 - Unknown Switch Condition - Intermittent
00943 - Heated Exterior Mirror; Driver Side (Z4) 35-00 - -
00944 - Heated Exterior Mirror; Passenger Side (Z5) 35-00 - -
End

Also after two years of ownership I had a surprise; it has no SAP! :eek: I checked the air box and the exhaust manifold and there are no connections for it; I had no idea that they made them without a SAP. Does anyone else have or had an NB that had no SAP.

Also the Air Bag light is not on, so how serious is the Air Bag fault?

·
VW Junky
1,032 Posts
About that airbag fault,I'd get it checked out first thing,for your son's safety(#1)

I had an airbag light,got it checked out by VW,replaced my harness for the passanger airbag,VW reset code,light gone. It was but a few hours of work.

I was told the airbag harness' for the early Nb tend to have issues here and there.

Just a shot in the dark,maybe the fuel filter for those lean fuel trim+misfire codes.

Check the 2ndary air injection vacuum lines.

I had similar plus an addition 5 or 6 codes,fixed by a thorough examination of the engine compartment,replacing misc bits and pieces(call me a neat freak)...CEL OUT!

Good luck,bump. :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
I AM native english speaking and I dont know either, what on earth is a SAP?

As for the airbag, thats most likely the connections under the seat, they go loose/get knocked etc (thats what the intermittent fault would be listed in VagCom), the airbag system will work, its just likely the airbag in that seat wouldn't go off - depends how serious you regard that as really.

The runnning probs look like they are down to a couple of things, one of the Lambda sensors need replacing (there are two on a NB) and you have an air leak/dodgy vac hose somewhere.

The central convenience fault codes, point to your heated mirror glass elements being burned out (very common on a NB, especially if you leave the mirror switch on the little mirror symbol as they stay on continuously then and burn the elements out) the only fix is new mirror glass in each mirror. The switch condition on the boot sounds like one of the microswitches, give everything a good clean and check no water is getting into the boot through the 3rd brakelight as that could be confusing the lock mech.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I AM native english speaking and I dont know either, what on earth is a SAP?

As for the airbag, thats most likely the connections under the seat, they go loose/get knocked etc (thats what the intermittent fault would be listed in VagCom), the airbag system will work, its just likely the airbag in that seat wouldn't go off - depends how serious you regard that as really.

The runnning probs look like they are down to a couple of things, one of the Lambda sensors need replacing (there are two on a NB) and you have an air leak/dodgy vac hose somewhere.

The central convenience fault codes, point to your heated mirror glass elements being burned out (very common on a NB, especially if you leave the mirror switch on the little mirror symbol as they stay on continuously then and burn the elements out) the only fix is new mirror glass in each mirror. The switch condition on the boot sounds like one of the microswitches, give everything a good clean and check no water is getting into the boot through the 3rd brakelight as that could be confusing the lock mech.
Ditto. What he said.:D

·
VW Junky
1,032 Posts
SAP=Secondary Air Pump..?

If so,disregard what I had said.I had similar faults,but they were all the basics,missed by the PO,even an o2 claimed to be on its last leg,tweaked a few things,cleaned 'er up and no more o2 fault.

·
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions everyone...

SAP... Secondary Air Pump. This NB does not have one.

I have plenty of vacuum hose, as I bought several feet for Cowboy; I like to replace all hoses when I take a cylinder head off; seeing how I have to disconnect so many.

So far my current parts list is, O2 Sensor, Fuel Filter, Plugs, Wires and possibly a coil if it is cracked; a common problem with 2.0's.

I'll no more once I go searching for these codes through my Bentley Software.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,212 Posts
I've been getting this code pretty much since I've gotten the car:
01483 - Control Circuit for Rear Lid Remote Unlocking 25-10 - Unknown Switch Condition - Intermittent

Never have any problems with the trunk. Do you know if this is for the microswitch in the trunk? I've always wondered what the code meant.

·
Every one calls me Fuzzy
859 Posts
I musht have this one my hach light flickers on and off the entiretime i am driving any one kno how to fix this.?????

·
VW Junky
1,032 Posts
I musht have this one my hach light flickers on and off the entiretime i am driving any one kno how to fix this.?????
Sorry for the jack D2Beetle...

Has it been just recent or has it been constant for say....over a week or two?A month,how long..?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,212 Posts
Has it been raining when it happens? The third brake lights are known to leak and mess up the sensor in the trunk. Often times once it dries out, it behaves normally again.

·
VW Junky
1,032 Posts
Has it been raining when it happens? The third brake lights are known to leak and mess up the sensor in the trunk. Often times once it dries out, it behaves normally again.And 70autostick is stoooooooooopid.
Stealin' my thunder,eh? ): just kidding

Smileybugs right,I'd invest in a third brake light seal :)

·
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep, HiLiter has an after market tail fin which uses the third light for mounting, rather than drilling more holes into the truck lid.

I'm not certain how long the rear lid circuit code has been around. I suspect from day one I got it, which will be two years this April; I do remember the previous owner mentioning he had trouble getting the trunk open using the remote; However if you hold the trunk lid button down for at least two seconds it will open, rain or shine.

I plan to do a pictorial DIY for each one as I fix them and perhaps those DIY's will help those of you who have similar issues.

·
VW Junky
1,032 Posts
I plan to do a pictorial DIY for each one as I fix them and perhaps those DIY's will help those of you who have similar issues.
Yes please,that would be a great help for many,I too have the leaky seal I'm looking to replace.

Keep us posted on your progress :)

·
Every one calls me Fuzzy
859 Posts
Sorry for the jack D2Beetle...

Has it been just recent or has it been constant for say....over a week or two?A month,how long..?
Yea it has and to stop the stealing of someone eleses thread pm me if you can help me out on this.

Thanks

·
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, there was a surprise :eek:hnoes: this afternoon that I did not want. Last Saturday I cleaned out the yellow muck from the valve cover breather. Now at the time I thought there was more than usual, but I dismissed it. And after today I should have look further into it, because today I heard more valve chatter than I like, so I checked the oil and here is what I discovered ...

Attachments

·
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Something is not right, I find it hard to believe that an intermittent O2 sensor would cause a problem like this. Any suggestions?

·
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I changed the oil and did not find the muck I was looking for? :confused: Also the CEL went out all by itself afterwards, even though it still sputters at idle. :confused: I will scan it again tomorrow.

So I do remember reading threads with conditions similar to this, so I will follow my own advice and will order plugs, wires, coil w/control module and a Lamda O2 sensor.

I will be driving it to work today as a test and we shall see how it goes ...

1 - 20 of 63 Posts