VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I hit a raccoon this morning at 50mph. Bye bye grill, fog lights, radiator, and core support. Car is a 1999 2.0 with 217,000 miles. If I claim the accident, I am confident it would be totaled. The car has been good to me, so I would like to fix it. That said, the part I thought would be the most difficult to find was the radiator support. I see Rockauto has one for $77 plus shipping. Has anyone actually purchased one from them? I'm worried about fitment issues and quality. For manufacturers, it just says various. Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
It really depends on who makes the radiator support; if you buy a original part from a VW dealer, it would fit perfectly. At my brothers shop; we bought a support for a VW Golf/Rabbit that was a aftermarket Asian made one, we had to modify it to work. I would recommend you get a used original part from a junk yard or one from the VW dealer for the best quality and correct fitment.

We bought ours; from these guys: http://www.certifit.com/

I would NOT recommend aftermarket Asian aftermarket parts; Certifit sells your typical cheap Asian auto body parts and is probably what everyone else sells. Sometimes, they have a 1st/2nd tier quality available; supposed to be able to meet a certain certification level of quality. The main thing; is that the threaded inserts spin inside the part (you are unable to tighten the assembly) and the fitment is poor, in our case no place to connect parts/body accessories, like the grill (they said it would fit a Rabbit but was really for a Jetta). If you buy these cheap parts; you can make them to work but the time, effort you put into it... it isn't worth the hassle. The thread inserts; could be epoxied or made to not spin etc.; imho, just buy real vw parts and be done with it.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,416 Posts
RockAuto is pretty good for parts. Also check 1stvwparts, ecstuning, autohausaz, and german auto parts.

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
So I hit a raccoon this morning at 50mph. Bye bye grill, fog lights, radiator, and core support. Car is a 1999 2.0 with 217,000 miles. If I claim the accident, I am confident it would be totaled. The car has been good to me, so I would like to fix it. That said, the part I thought would be the most difficult to find was the radiator support. I see Rockauto has one for $77 plus shipping. Has anyone actually purchased one from them? I'm worried about fitment issues and quality. For manufacturers, it just says various. Any input is appreciated.

Check around the local Pick and Pull yards for the parts. The fog lights will most likely be available off eBay, but make sure the year(s) are correct. The difference between years is in the upper mounting bracket for the fog light. Radiator? I can order one in via eBay for under $50.00 bucks. Others may give me a hard time about it--but I've used several of the companies with good success. (Go for the one with the highest feedback and best warranty.)

The core support is interesting. eBay starts with that part going for about $150ish range.... I'm concerned about one that is only $77.00 If money is a huge concern? I'd go with the cheap one, with shipping to my area would be about $90-$99. But be ready to fight with it, as it may not be 100% exact fit.

Car is worth fixing---things just look ugly :D I'd still look into pick and pull yards in the area. We have several great "picks" in our local yard that have helped us save a lot of $$.

S-

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
part #

Take that original part number of the support and check out the pricing on ebay you can usually find a bargain deal there.
You'll find OEM parts and after market parts too. Nothing wrong with looking around and checking different prices.

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
I got a new aftermarket core support from a salvage yard cheaper than their used one. Some modification was required though.. it wasn't anything major a dremel couldn't fix. Saved me a ton of money. I don't remember exactly what had to be modified though.. it was around the hood latch. I do remember that.

I hit a blown semi tire and had to replace EVERYTHING between the bumper and block. The valence and fogs were GONE. (Really, they were nowhere to be found lol) I'm still to this day shocked the air bags didn't go off with the amount of damage it did. I feel your pain. I also didn't file for insurance... because they would have totaled the car, no question about it. :(

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wife hit a dog in her '06. Tore the bumper cover, bent radiator, broke support. I pulled the entire front, fenders and bumper, straightened radiator out then fiberglassed the radiator support with three layers on the front/top and one behind. Right headlight had to be replaced where it went down the road, and the center grill section. A local body shop got a new bumper and painted it green cheaper than what he said he could fix mine for.

The radiator support is fiberglass to absorb energy in a crash, mine did and cracked, so I just re-glassed it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do have a pick-and-pull close to me that I visit frequently, but they hardly ever get any NBs, and if they do, they get picked fairly quickly. I actually got lucky once and they brought one back while I was there and I got first crack at it. Got the set of leather seats as well as the black carpet, and some extra window switches.

So I found another location probably about another 30 miles away and got lucky. I was able to get the core support. Radiator and condenser were already gone.

I was thinking maybe the jettas or golfs of the same years with the AEG engine would have the same radiators and condensers. Would that be correct?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I don't know for sure; as I mentioned above, I got a asian aftermarket radiator support for a Rabbit/Golf and it was the same part # for the Jetta part they had and it was not exactly the same as the original part. I'm assuming; there may be small differences between the models but I don't know for sure.

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Use RockAuto as a resource. Look up the part for YOUR car, and then hit the tab(s) next to the part. It will show the years and models the part interchanges with.

Quick and dirty way of doing it :)

S-

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I finally got my bug back together. I was able to find the grill and radiator new for a reasonable price. Condenser and core support came from a junkyard. The fogs I actually got from Walmart of all places. While the AC system was evacuated I went ahead and replaced all o-rings as well as the dryer. Finally have cold air again after a few years.

Attachments

·
'02 Snap Orange 1.8T/5spd
152 Posts
Excellent job saving the car.

We did some Raccoon jousting a few years ago at 65mph on the free. Fortunately, we were in the '95 Quattro Avant and sustained only a couple cracks in the grill inserts at the bottom of the bumper. Audi...1 Raccoon...0

1 - 14 of 14 Posts