NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
All this & I can cook too
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First things first - thanks to jfoj for helping me diagnose a misfire. I replaced my spark plugs and coil packs with new NGK iridiums and Hitachi E type coil packs. I've used the NGK's before and had good results, and the Hitachi's are definitely worth it - I felt a difference in the throttle response right away. I like the design, too - the bolt down tops and the gaskets that keep moisture out of the spark plug chamber are a well thought-out design. At first I was a little leery because of the physical differences between the design of the OEM coil packs and the Hitachis, but they snug down nicely with the allan bolts and the first time I stepped on the gas I knew it was an improvement.

That's one more thing down on my 'bulletproofing the bug for TOD 6' list!

Thanks again jfoj

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,470 Posts
First things first - thanks to jfoj for helping me diagnose a misfire. I replaced my spark plugs and coil packs with new NGK iridiums and Hitachi E type coil packs. I've used the NGK's before and had good results, and the Hitachi's are definitely worth it - I felt a difference in the throttle response right away. I like the design, too - the bolt down tops and the gaskets that keep moisture out of the spark plug chamber are a well thought-out design. At first I was a little leery because of the physical differences between the design of the OEM coil packs and the Hitachis, but they snug down nicely with the allan bolts and the first time I stepped on the gas I knew it was an improvement.

That's one more thing down on my 'bulletproofing the bug for TOD 6' list!

Thanks again jfoj
If i remember it isn't bullets you should be worried about. :) You need to glassproof your car. ;)

I kinda want to get them hitachis for N00ber now.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
All this & I can cook too
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True, true. I wish I could find the pencilneck who threw the bottle out that the glass came from and shove the remainder of that bottle up his nose.... Then again, as long as the caravan was, it was probably inevitable that one of us would get it, so I consider it taking one for the team. It is arguable that I was insane to run the dragon on a temporary spare, but sanity has always been over rated, I believe. No one ever remembers a mediocre effort!

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Chef,

Glad I was helpful, did not think I was giving you much to work with, but again, sometimes another insane mind to bounce ideas off of is what is takes.

Glad you are likely up and running again.

I know some of these cars had a VW recall for coils, I know my 2003 1.8t GLX Convertible had the coils replaced when I had it in to have an Airbag sensor recall performed!

Anyway, check your engine temp next if you have not done so, 205F in under 10 minutes is what you should see. Thermostats fail soft all the time and you never know it!

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,470 Posts
True, true. I wish I could find the pencilneck who threw the bottle out that the glass came from and shove the remainder of that bottle up his nose.... Then again, as long as the caravan was, it was probably inevitable that one of us would get it, so I consider it taking one for the team. It is arguable that I was insane to run the dragon on a temporary spare, but sanity has always been over rated, I believe. No one ever remembers a mediocre effort!
Yep, could have been anyone of us! Still surprised you made it there and completed the Dragon! :D

·
Registered
14,068 Posts
The Hitachi's have always been touted as the most reliable solution; I'm glad they are working out for you. I have the latest Bremi revision; they were replaced under recall and they have been better then the failure prone ones I have used in the past.

Now, that being said; another thing, that seems to have become popular is actually converting over to the Mark V 2.0T series coils that came in those later engines. They supposedly have a more intense spark and are even MORE reliable then our stock setups! :cool: I typically; don't like to do major non stock conversions but considering how much coils fail on these 1.8Ts it is certainly something to research and think about anyway! :)

Check out more info here: (has anyone here done this; any feedback?) Many swear; it is nite and day difference; other say "placebo effect", interesting concept, regardless! :)

VWVortex.com - 2.0T Coilpacks and spark plug gap, trying random new stuff..

VWVortex.com - :| INA - 1.8T to 2.0T Coil Pack Adapters (TECH & FAQ) - INTRO PRICING |:

·
Don't call me pumpkin...
221 Posts
That conversion was discovered probably a month or so after I upgraded to the Hitachi bolt-downs. I've always wanted to try it out, but couldn't justify it right after spending all that money. :p

·
Registered
77 Posts
I read the 1.8t to 2.0t coil pack adaptor post.
Didn't realize 1mm was a lot of gap. When I changed plugs last weekend I gapped them to about .035'' and they seem to be doing pretty good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts