NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have a Beetle convertible, you know how much wind volume you feel on the back of your head when you have the top down. For those who do not want to spend anywhere from $250.00 (used) to $500.00 (new), I have made one for you to look at. It works great and blocks 60-70% of that wind.

I used 1/2 inch PVC pipe, 8 - 90 degree elbows, 2 strap hinges and some nylon screen material. Each side measured 21x28. I assembled each side, spray painted it black before adding screen material glued in place with the PVC glue. I glued a small strip of screen and used a heat gun to dry before moving to the next strip.
63234967-8235-4EC0-996F-15174FDA9AE7.jpeg
Then added the strap hinges. The retaining clips were made from bungy cord remnants and hooked to the headrest. Total cost less than $15.

As you can see, the screen can be left in place with the top up or folded and placed in the trunk.

Text me with any questions.

Ken

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Very creative. I bought a plexiglass one for a couple hundred. That wind is no joke. Without a hat it’s next to impossible to enjoy the ride. My next investment is some good quality sunglasses.

·
Registered
20 Posts
For years my brother owned an S2000, and every time I drove it, I was in absolute heaven going top down. Temperatures stay around 50-80F year round where I live, so that’s an extra benefit for me.
My question to all of you convertible owners that absolutely loved going top down at first, did it ever get old and not as enjoyable over time? Or does it still make you smile dropping the top on a nice day? 9apps Showbox

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great job on the windscreen!
I can’t believe how expensive the VW OEM one is.

I live in Utah and my top is down at least 6 months of the year. (It’s down as I type this)

A hat and sunglasses (and sunscreen) are a must. A windscreen is great at freeway speeds. I also like to wear earplugs when driving on the urban freeways for relief from the constant road noise of passing vehicles.

50 degrees (f) is about my limit, a good jacket and gloves along with the heated seats and heater make it bearable.

I’ve had a convertible for almost ten years—not tired of it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
ToD Maiden Voyager
3,412 Posts
great job!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts