NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 New Beetle sometimes honks briefly when I turn the key in the ignition. It must have something to do with the alarm, but whether or not the doors and windows are locked doesn't matter. It doesn't happen every time. Any ideas on how to disable this?

·
Registered
12,136 Posts
Are you using the key fob or the regulator valet key? I wonder, if you might be; inadvertently, depressing one of the key fob buttons by accident? Typically, the car will beep once; when, you lock, arm the alarm system. If you have a vw specific scan tool; you might, scan for any related codes, just as a possibility.

If you have another key; you might try using it and see, if the same thing happens, doing the same activity. I wonder, if it might be a case; where the switches in the circuit board are dirty or for some reason, are overly sensitive. From time to time; I will run my key fob (accidently); through the washer machine. This waterlogging can cause the buttons to not perform well; so, I will get some electrical contact cleaner, spray it on the microswitches and work the cleaner, into them by depressing them, as I spray the cleaner into the switches. This restores the functionality of the key fob; works everytime and this is my original key fob (now almost 18 years old).

So, those are some ideas; on things to try and possible ways to clean your old key fob. Let us know, what you find out and if you find, if changing or cleaning your key fob, works in fixing the problem. Thanks.

PS: here is the cleaner I use:

QD® Electronic Cleaner, 11 Wt Oz - 05103 - CRC Industries

This product, can be found at home improvement stores and at pretty much every auto parts store. It can get overpriced at many stores but I find, it is cheapest in the automotive section at your local walmart (under $5 a can). This stuff is amazing, you might want to get more then one; as you will find many uses for it, once you start using it! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you using the key fob or the regulator valet key? I wonder, if you might be; inadvertently, depressing one of the key fob buttons by accident? Typically, the car will beep once; when, you lock, arm the alarm system. If you have a vw specific scan tool; you might, scan for any related codes, just as a possibility.

If you have another key; you might try using it and see, if the same thing happens, doing the same activity. I wonder, if it might be a case; where the switches in the circuit board are dirty or for some reason, are overly sensitive. From time to time; I will run my key fob (accidently); through the washer machine. This waterlogging can cause the buttons to not perform well; so, I will get some electrical contact cleaner, spray it on the microswitches and work the cleaner, into them by depressing them, as I spray the cleaner into the switches. This restores the functionality of the key fob; works everytime and this is my original key fob (now almost 18 years old).

So, those are some ideas; on things to try and possible ways to clean your old key fob. Let us know, what you find out and if you find, if changing or cleaning your key fob, works in fixing the problem. Thanks.

Billy, thank you for your thoughtful and detailed suggestions. I have tried my other key--still get the honk. I am not holding the buttons on the fob when I turn the key in the ignition. I will try the key cleaner. I just worry that there is a short in the ignition and that one of these days the key won't work at all. Thanks again! Myra

This product, can be found at home improvement stores and at pretty much every auto parts store. It can get overpriced at many stores but I find, it is cheapest in the automotive section at your local walmart (under $5 a can). This stuff is amazing, you might want to get more then one; as you will find many uses for it, once you start using it! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts