NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
double yellow beetle bug
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, almost everytime my turbo kicks in it makes a honking/buzzer noise. If you kick it on down it stops, but I have noticed that it is getting worse.
Any clue what is happening?

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Okay, almost everytime my turbo kicks in it makes a honking/buzzer noise. If you kick it on down it stops, but I have noticed that it is getting worse.
Any clue what is happening?
Of course, this is a very common problem. The honking comes from a failing diverter valve. Once it is totally gone so will your boost. You can replace it with this one. ECS tuning has it on Sale at this time. It is an OEM Diverter Valve and will work with any 1.8T
Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T > Search > Diverter Valve > ES#581 Diverter Valve, 225hp Audi TT Version-Priced Each - 06A145710N
Or if you are chipped or tuned you may want to invest in a Forge or APR diverter valve which will be able to take the increased boost pressure. But if you are stock the cheaper DV will be fine.

EAsy to replace. Takes about 5 minutes. And if you can turn a screwdriver you can replace a Diverter Valve.

I see that DV is on backorder. Here is one that is in stock : http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-New_Beetle--1.8T/Search/Diverter_Valve/ES250636/

·
double yellow beetle bug
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay I changed the Diverter Valve and that helped some, but I still have the noise. It seems to come into play around 3,500 RPM. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Okay I changed the Diverter Valve and that helped some, but I still have the noise. It seems to come into play around 3,500 RPM. Any other suggestions?
What type of Diverter Valve did you install? Stock OEM?
Did you make sure the clamps are on their securely and is the vacuum hose on top of the divereter valve free of cracks or breaks? Sounds like some sort of Vaccum leak. The honking noise usually comes from a failing divereter valve but if you changed it there has to be another vacuum leak. Check and trace all the vacuum lines to make sure they are not dry rotted or have cracks in them. Even if they look fine they may not be. I changed all my rubber vacuum hoses to silicone hoses. More heat resitant and last 10 times longer than any rubber hose. Check the hoses coming off the N75 valve.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts