NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The plastic release lever on the inside of my '98 Beetle TDI. The lever broke off and it looks like there's some of it missing so it can no longer be used.

Questions:

1) is there any other way to open the hood?
2) can this part be replaced? If so, what's involved?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
The plastic release lever on the inside of my '98 Beetle TDI. The lever broke off and it looks like there's some of it missing so it can no longer be used.

Questions:

1) is there any other way to open the hood?
2) can this part be replaced? If so, what's involved?

Thanks in advance for any help!!
Remove the handle by sliding out the clip and pull on the cable ball end with some vice grips, very easy handle to replace.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Mine was coming off too. Thought it was the handle. Was really this part
Edit_2013-01-25_1.JPG
Nipple for the handle was broken off. The handle turns this and moves the end where the silver ball is. (end of hood cable)
Edit_2013-01-25_2.JPG
Remove the little plastic rivet and work the edge of the black
plastic cover loose from the door rubber and off of the door sill plastic. Be careful as VW plastic is brittel
This is the part number you need.
Edit_2013-01-25_3.JPG
remove the 2 phillips screws and pop the ball loose from the busted one.
reattach backing plate and reinstall the cover
Edit_2013-01-25_4.JPG

put the handle back on and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Vdubya, I'm pretty sure you're right that that was my original problem, and is still, but I think I also broke the handle trying to open it and the handle popping off repeatedly, so now I can't even put the handle over the black piece and turn it.

I'm a little confused from your instructions, though. Does the black piece (with the teeth in your pictures) just pop off with a little leverage from behind, or do I need to remove something else first (a rivet? where is this located)? Once off, it sounds like there are screws holding the metal ball to it? Once reattached the handle will simply pop into place and shouldn't fall off until the piece breaks again?

What's a good site for ordering these types of parts (I will also need the handle, if anyone happens to have that part number).

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Look at your handle it has a little piece that pushes in to lock it on the nipple, If you pushed it in it won't go on.

There are 2 phillips screws (picture 1) that hold that piece on remove them and the piece and cable will be loose. There is a slot where the ball is so you can slip the ball out of the piece.

The part number for the handle(black) is 1J1-823-533-C-B41
I think the handle was about 40 dollars and the other part about 35 dollars

I got them from the dealer but usually go with 1st vw parts
or lately these guys as they discount their intrnet pricing
Volkswagen Parts - Get VW Parts at Wholesale Prices
Edit_2013-01-25_5.JPG

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, vdubyah, I ordered the replacement parts and I'm sure your pictures will come in handy when it comes time to replace it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts