VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Volkswagen-Be...rue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=AZUEGS6F7RLJ5

How exactly does this work? Does anyone know?

It seems to me that this is a lift that elevates the front hood so that it stays up on its own?

The thing is, my car has a manual support that I have to lift and latch onto the hood in order to keep the hood up. (My car is a 1998)

Is this item able to be installed onto my car? Do newer models after 1998 come with a supported lift?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I have no idea about the 1998 models, but my 2003 has a gas strut. Mine stated to leak about year 10 and go bad, bought this one on Amazon for around $17.40 and it has been on the car working fine for 3 years.

Assuming your car has the brackets for the strut, then it should work out. I will have to look at my car to see if the strut mounts are bolt on, which means if the 1998 did not have a strut, you could probably retrofit your car?

Maybe some early owners could chime in on what they have on their 1998 models.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no idea about the 1998 models, but my 2003 has a gas strut. Mine stated to leak about year 10 and go bad, bought this one on Amazon for around $17.40 and it has been on the car working fine for 3 years.

Assuming your car has the brackets for the strut, then it should work out. I will have to look at my car to see if the strut mounts are bolt on, which means if the 1998 did not have a strut, you could probably retrofit your car?

Maybe some early owners could chime in on what they have on their 1998 models.
It's weird because when I type in 1998 hood support, I get a lot of those gas struts which are self supported, and I have a very hard time finding the manual hooked support that I have on my car. It was so hard that I almost started thinking that maybe the hook was some kind of add-on that the previous owner did, but I finally found one.

This is what my car has

VW 1998 Beetle Hood Prop Rod Holder Stick Genuine VW Excellent Used Cond | eBay

Did they add the gas ones in later 1998 and maybe mine is an early 1998? I doubt it will have the placements for this gas strut if it wasn't even at thing at the time.

Would love a photo of how yours is connected, though, and then can see if mine has anywhere to install as well.

Thank you so much for the input. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
As you've found out, 98 was the only year for the manual hood support. From 99 on all NBs had the gas strut. I know in the past there have been some who converted their 98 to a gas strut but not sure if the directions are still around the internet or not. They might have been on the old org thus lost forever.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would anyone mind taking a few photos showing how their strut is connected to their hood? I'd like to compare them to mine and see if there's still places to install this in my hood. The listing does say for 1998+, so that's a little strange.

Would be greatly appreciated. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
If I remember I'll take a picture of mine when I get home. That and assuming there isn't massive hail falling from the sky.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts