VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so my hood won't open. It was working fine and then I get it back from the dealership and suddenly POOF it's broken. Here's where I'm at with this, and if anyone can offer advice that works I will pray to the VW gods that they at least treat you better than they have me.

This is a '98 new beetle TDI manual transmission, power doors/windows.

-Interior latch release worked - hood popped up a little bit.
-Hood is now stuck in "safety latch position". Can't open it, can't shut it.
-Safety latch is intact. Action seems about right, but doesn't release the hood.
-I have spent several heartbreaking hours trying to use a long screwdriver, my fingers, hands, and most of my entire arm (luckily with no amputation necessary yet).
-The latch holding the hood down will not budge even a millimeter.
-I have found the mythical "sharp piece" that you're supposed to pull down to release. This only pulls the safety latch in - I can see that nothing else happens.
-I've verified that the same prying motion on the same parts on my wife's passat will release the motherloving hood.
-I pulled the hood up on the side with a violent jerking motion to provide enough room to get my arm in there and reach across, which obviously lead to a lopsided hood.
-I jumped my butt onto the side edges of the hood to push them back down, only to put two amazing dents in the hood roughly the size of one butt cheek.
-the car is currently out of commission because the battery is dead prematurely because the stereo is broken and draining power and the door latch is broken and draining power, apparently more than my recently replaced alternator can make up for in the small amount of time I drive this steaming hunk of metal. Therefore, I can't drive it to a shop to have them fix it, and obviously jump-starting the battery isn't currently an option.
-Help.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Not a solution to your hood problem, but you may try something like this???

Amazon.com: Plug-2-Go:Car-To-Car Charging System: Automotive

If you have a battery charger, you could also go to Radio Shack and jump buy one of these can connect the charger to it -

Enercell Vehicle Adapter Plug w/ Banana Jacks : Adapter Plugs | RadioShack.com

Use the lowest charger setting as this above likely has a built in fuse and the lighter circuit in the car has a built in fuse as well.

Or use something like this - Amazon.com: Battery Tender 021-0123 Battery Tender Junior 12V Battery Charger: Automotive

Will likely take at least over night??

Good luck.

·
Registered
950 Posts
A small hacksaw, cut the latch on the locking mechanism to release the hood and then replace the locking mechanism.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts