VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fiancee has a 2000 New Beetle, and ever since she got it, the horn has not worked. It will sound when the panic button is pushed on the keyfob, and the car makes that "Blup" sound when you lock it, but pushing on the steering wheel does nothing. I would like to say its either the fuse, or possibly, the relay, but since it sounds when the panic button is pushed, Im not sure. I really hope it's not the switch inside the steering wheel that's bad. Anyone willing to offer some help as to how to go about fixing this? Thanks! :dunno:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: Replaced the fuse, nothing happened. You can hear a click from inside the dash on the left side when pressing on the steering wheel, but the horn doesnt actually sound.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok. Sweet! Is it the "Dual horn relay"? Where is this magical relay box located? I apologize for the stupid questions, I'm just not that knowledgeable when it comes to Volkswagen products lol, I'm more of a Honda guy!

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Yes, It is a dual horn system; I think one for alarm and one for the steering wheel. Again, common failure: I have had to replace them in my 00' new beetle and a 01' Jetta 1.8t I worked on. We got some used ones off of eBay.
To get to the horns; they are under the drivers side front fender; remove fender liner to access them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sweet! Thanks! Ill be sure to look into that and get a new relay! Everyone on here seems so much nicer than on the Honda forums LOL! Im liking it :p

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I would check the horn(s) first by putting power to them; easy: (pass or fail test), work through a process of elimination; in my experience, the relays still made the clicking noises, when the horns were bad. So, the relay; could be fine, when activated they generally make the clicking noises. Obviously; more in depth troubleshooting is better (e.g. Multimeter etc.) but try the easy stuff first.
Bass upon; what I have seen, I am thinking the horns are bad. Start that process of e,imitation and let us know, how it goes! :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would check the horn(s) first by putting power to them; easy: (pass or fail test), work through a process of elimination; in my experience, the relays still made the clicking noises, when the horns were bad. So, the relay; could be fine, when activated they generally make the clicking noises. Obviously; more in depth troubleshooting is better (e.g. Multimeter etc.) but try the easy stuff first.

Understood... but the horn still works when you set off the alarm. Its not a completely different horn is it? That seems really odd and unnecessary.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I believe there is a horn dedicated to the alarm; under the windshield. That is why; the horn goes on when the alarm activated! It is still working ( because it is a separate horn) and your twin (dual) horns for the steering wheel are not working. You need to to test them to confirm.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I believe there is a horn dedicated to the alarm; under the windshield. That is why; the horn goes on when the alarm inactivated! It is still working ( because it is separate) and your twin (dual) horns for the steering wheel are not working. You need to to test them to confirm.

Oh my god!!! That is so pointless lol. but whatever. I hope thats not whats wrong. Ill try the relay and see if that fixes it. If not, I really dont feel like taking a bunch of stuff apart to fix it. -_-

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
The horns are right under the left drivers side fender; not hard to get to, I would guess they are dead. Put battery power to them; to confirm the diagnosis and replace if needed. RockAuto has them in th$18-$30 range (you need two horns: high and a low tone); depending on what brand you buy, I'm pretty sure the oem is the German company HELLA.

At $30 for a complete dual horn assembly; plus a 5 year warranty and free shipping, this is probably the best deal out there:

AARodriguez Corp.
Premium Sound Dual Tone Horn Kit for Audi TT, A6, VW Golf, Jetta, GTI, New Beetle and Passat - 5 Year Warranty 3B0951221, 3B0951223 (1 Set)

http://www.fixmyvw.com/premium-soun...at-5-year-warranty-3b0951221-3b0951223-1-set/

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The horns are right under the left drivers side fender; not hard to get to, I would guess they are dead. Put battery power to them; to confirm the diagnosis and replace if needed. RockAuto has them in th$18-$30 range (you need two horns: high and a low tone); depending on what brand you buy, I'm pretty sure the oem is the German company HELLA.

At $30 for a complete dual horn assembly; plus a 5 year warranty and free shipping, this is probably the best deal out there:

AARodriguez Corp.
Premium Sound Dual Tone Horn Kit for Audi TT, A6, VW Golf, Jetta, GTI, New Beetle and Passat - 5 Year Warranty 3B0951221, 3B0951223 (1 Set)

Dual Tone Horn Kit for VW MK4 Golf and Jetta - 5 Year Warranty

Alright, I replaced the relay and still have the same issue. Guess that leaves the actual horns as the only other problem. Just seems odd that both of them would be dead. I am having trouble finding any good information on how to replace them. Like a step-by-step procedure with photos or something. Would you need to go from underneath and possibly lift the vehicle in the air? What's the best way of going about replacing them? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
It could be that one horn died long ago and it wasn't noticed that the tone had changed. Later the last one died and now you don't have any.

Here are some instructions with pictures on removing the fender liner to get at the intake ducting. The horns are right there. You can see them on the gold-colored bracket in one of the pictures.

http://newbeetle.org/forums/technical-how/4124-how-snowbox-removal.html#post51288

You shouldn't need to remove the entire wheel liner, just the front half or so and you can move it out of the way to get to the horns.

·
Registered
36 Posts
sorry to hijack this thread, im having similar problems.. heres what ive done so far:

I already followed the steps outlined in this article:

"Ultimate Troubleshooting Guide" for a VW horn that is not working

to summarize:

1. Horns are working when I tap 12V to them
2. Fuse #40 is new. I replaced it thinking this was the problem.
3. Horn relay is clicking/makes clicking sound when horn button on steering wheel is pressed.

Im stumped!!
thanks in advance for any help!!

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
The guide you linked says the relay may be bad even if it clicks. There are two relay panels above the driver's feet. You need to remove a panel under the dash to get to them. The lower relay panel has 4 relays, the horn is in position #1 and is a type 53 relay. The upper relay panel has 13 positions and the fog light relay is #1 and happens to be a type 53 as well. Try swapping them and see if the horn works. If you don't have fog lights, relay #13 is for the coolant fan and is also type 53.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts