NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My horn is acting up. Last week it was really cold for here. It was the coldest day so far this year. Maybe 28 degrees. That morning my bug horn began to act up. When I backed out of the driveway and stepped on the brake, the horn started to honk. It wasn't a solid honk, it was a shudder, not full volume and on and off. After this point my horn on the steering wheel only works when it wants to and most of the time doesn't work. Since then, the horn has periodically honked when it wanted to either with me applying the brakes or accelerating.

It appears to me that I have a short and the wire is shorting to the frame and completing the circuit which makes the horn honk. Maybe I am wrong. Where would you look and what would you look for to solve this problem?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Are you sure the noise you heard when backing up was the horn and not the brakes vibrating and making noise??

This appears to be a fairly common issue with the Beetle from what I have seen.

Usually once the car has been driven and the brakes warmed up this noise does not happen until the car has sat overnight?

You may have 2 different problems?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have heard the brake sound you are talking about and this was different. It was definately my horn. At this same time, the horn stopped working properly. It would shudder when I hit the horn exactly like when I backed up. Then it just stopped working except randomly on it's own.

My wife laughs at me, because it just honks on it's own. I was driving through the Walmart parking lot just honking away this weekend.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I would consider replacing the horn relay, they are probably cheap and easy to replace. The relay is likely bad and the steering wheel control activates the relay, so if the horn is honking without full volume, the problem is likely the relay?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts