NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so maybe someone can explain or help me figure out what's going on with my horn…

I've got a 2002 Turbo S. When you push the horn button on the steering wheel, it sounds like you've ran over a duck just about. You push the panic button on the key fob and it sounds off loud and clear.

So is there separate relays for the alarm system/steering wheel horn system? Could it be a simple contact issue in the steering wheel? Anybody got any experience with this?

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,470 Posts
Ok, so maybe someone can explain or help me figure out what's going on with my horn…

I've got a 2002 Turbo S. When you push the horn button on the steering wheel, it sounds like you've ran over a duck just about. You push the panic button on the key fob and it sounds off loud and clear.

So is there separate relays for the alarm system/steering wheel horn system? Could it be a simple contact issue in the steering wheel? Anybody got any experience with this?
From listening to my car, the horn and the alarm/lock horn are 2 different horns... your main horn may be failing. Not sure, maybe someone else knows...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Yes they are two different horns. Not sure where the alarm horn is located but the steering wheel horns are on the bumper on the drivers side.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well honk my hooter…

OK. So basically you're saying the horns located behind the front bumper cover are shot, most likely. I'll look into replacing them then… any suggestions on what sounds "right" for a Beetle?

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,470 Posts
If I am replacing them, I would go for a vintage original beetle horn or rig up an asian horn. Lol. If you want stock look for a horn from any MK4 vw at a salvage yard...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts