VW Beetle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Everett Street in May
3,212 Posts
Nice work sir, you just saved me an hour of poking around myself.

Thanks...:bigthumb:

·
Everett Street in May
3,212 Posts
Ok, I've been busy as well finding a 1.8t Turbo SAMCO kit and an Upper Intercooler hose for our cars.

I found this site, turbowholesale.com which had the Samco VW Beetle 1.8T AWP 2001 (4 piece) Turbo Hose kit.

Lowest price around for SAMCO BTW!! Kit was $169.21 plus $8.00 UPS ground for me.

Wish I had found them last week before I ordered my cooling kit. We will have to see how they do with Order Fulfillment. I'll let everyone know.

Then I found this:

They are made by GHL Motorsports and are the Upper Intercooler Hose for all MkIV 1.8t engines. I found it at gmpperformance.com.

Cost is $141.55 plus for me, $14.00 shipping.

So, most of these should be at my house by the weekend. Hopefully they will come with some kind of diagram of which hose is supposed to go where.

If not, we will make our own.

Thanks again to SilverSportNOLA for making up the nice layout from that pic.

What I will do with the two hoses that don't seem to fit our beetle set-up's, is use as much of them to replace some of the ancillary hoses that we have.

Once I get both kit's installed, then I will need to do what nyum96 is doing. Buy bulk length's and make custom one-off hoses to replace "all" of the heater, oil and misc cooling lines.

Should be fun......TechnoTrix'd.....:wave3:

·
Faster Than Katrina
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Well .... Like I said, I still have to install the boost hoses and the ABD pancake pipe replacement that I have had a while, Tried the Upper IC hose once, shop was closing and I couldn't get it in there so had to go back to stock ... then found out removing the right headlight really would help getting it lined up so you can twist it right then tighten it down. Didn't find a use for all the hoses in that kit, and their are some that will probably have to be replaced seprately, like the one leaving the turbo. Well, it all should have been installed almost 2 years ago (Thanx Katrina), but, will get it done when I disassemble for T-Belt soon.

Well, I have been really searching for Vacuum hoses, need my Vac to read 22 again instead of 14, I am sure I will be going with a universal kit from www.hosetechniques.com and adding to it. Found some good stuff to post here, don't have an account on AudiWorld so all I can say is Thanks MyTToy_225QC here and hope linking this pic is cool (not even sure if it is his). Hey, any guy with a MoFo from www.ModShack.info can't be all wrong, something added to my wishlist. This came from his post here http://forums.audiworld.com/tt/msgs/1626313.phtml, which also has some other great links.

This is a pic of the business end of a TT, but as you can see, the engine compartment is setup really tight like ours and has most of the same components in different places, with the vac hose sizes listed.

·
Everett Street in May
3,212 Posts
Great post..:bigthumb: That is a wonderful pic, as it provides some good idea's and helps with clarifying some of the ancillary hose diameters.

Yep, he has about $600.00 worth of ModShack stuff in there, very nice indeed.

The additional liks on the Audi site are great as well.

Hope other people on the Org are benefitting from this thread, ton's of info that has not been put all together in one place before finally is.

Thanks again........TechnoTrix'd.....:wave3:

·
Everett Street in May
3,212 Posts
BTW, looks like www.hosetechnique.comis no more, or their site has been taken off-line and the domain name re-sold.

Anybody have a phone number for them? If so, give them a ring and see what's up.

Thanks...

·
Faster Than Katrina
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
TechnoTrix'd said:
BTW, looks like www.hosetechnique.comis no more, or their site has been taken off-line and the domain name re-sold.

Anybody have a phone number for them? If so, give them a ring and see what's up.

Thanks...
My faux pa .... I forgot the S at the end, fixed it and here it is again www.hosetechniques.com. The have a VW Beetle hose kit, but the pix are for a 2.0L, so I don't think we would be covered well enough by that kit.

·
Everett Street in May
3,212 Posts
SilverSportNOLA said:
My faux pa .... I forgot the S at the end, fixed it and here it is again www.hosetechniques.com. The have a VW Beetle hose kit, but the pix are for a 2.0L, so I don't think we would be covered well enough by that kit.
:lol: np. Looked at the kit, not sure what you actually get for $90.00???

Looks like the fluid line to the washer nozzles and some basic vacumm lines.

I think if you just buy the 9' of bulk hose and some connectors, you'll have the same thing...:wink2:

BTW, recieved my coolant hose kit last night, and the clamps are scheduled for delivery today. Soooooo, tomorrow will the the first phase of the hose replacement work.

I'll post some pics and how it came out once I am done.

·
Faster Than Katrina
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Can't wait to see what you find there.

As for the Vac hoses ... I think the universal kit ... the one for $58 is the best bet, they don't sell any of the Vacuum hose in less than 10Ft lengths. And then add some extra for washer hoses and two more colors of zip ties for flaver and you should do it all.

·
Everett Street in May
3,212 Posts
First things first, Happy Easter everyone. :bunny:

Now, I've got some bad news and some good news. First the bad news, none of the hoses in the MkIV cooling kit actually "fit" any of the connections for our 1.8t configuration...:(

Now the good news, you can "cannibalize" most of the kit for some of the smaller cooling, air and fuel vent capturing systems.

I'm going to resize some of the pics I took last night and then post them here.

BTW, one thing to keep in mind is be very careful with pulling off some of the connections. VW uses a lot of high temp plastic connectors, and after 6 years and 100k miles, they become a little bit brittle.

I'm going to have to hit my local bone yard on Monday in order to drive Pepe again..:home:

Ok, on to the pics and the progress made so far..

·
Everett Street in May
3,212 Posts
Getting Started..

Well, the night started out with high hopes. Nice looking hose kit all laid out (pic #1), SilverSportNOLA's post printed out, the Bently diagrams printed, all ready to go.

So, I drain the fluid, which is a little bit "brown" because I put Red Lines Water Wetter in the system.

Now, draining the fluid is wicked easy, almost too easy. All you do open the top of the overflow tank, turn this knob (pic #2) to the left and pull out.

Once this has drained, then you pop-off the Oil Cooler hose to drain the engine block line (pic #3).

Attachments

·
Everett Street in May
3,212 Posts
Lower Cooling Hose..

First issue, the lower cooling hose. Close, but no cigar gang. Basically the upper connector is about an 1” short with the bend (pic #2). This jams the tube into the alternator body and does not fit into the upper holding strap.

The lower connector is too long (pic's #1 and #3), go figure, and even if trimmed, will not allow for proper clearance around the oil filter.

So, the good news is that I have plenty of 2” hose to make all of the special cut’s required for the upper hose assemblies..

Attachments

·
Everett Street in May
3,212 Posts
Upper Cooling Hose

Second issue is the upper cooling hose. Again, just not the right shape or length..:(

Pic #2 is the small connector hose going from the recirculation pump to the Turbo. BTW, it is all metal tubing from here to the back of the engine bay (pic #3).

Attachments

·
Everett Street in May
3,212 Posts
Ok, that's all for now, have to get ready for Church and a day with the family over at the in-laws.

Peace...TechnoTrix'd...:wave3:

·
Registered
979 Posts
Techno... Looks like the one hose you're holding you need to swap ends with, i.e., the portion your thumb is holding looks like it matches the opposite end of the black hose.

·
Everett Street in May
3,212 Posts
Ghostccc said:
which intercooler to TB hose fits right on the Tubro S model?
The AWP kit is the one for the S models. Because my AWV shares that same turbo housing as the S, I ordered the AWP kit and not the APH/AWV kit.

·
Everett Street in May
3,212 Posts
sb_beetle said:
Techno... Looks like the one hose you're holding you need to swap ends with, i.e., the portion your thumb is holding looks like it matches the opposite end of the black hose.
The hose I am holding is labeled as hose #7 in SilverSportNOLA's post up above. My thumb is covering the sharpe bend, which matches the OEM bend.

It's just not the right hose, as this cooling kit was based on the golf/jetta configuration. VW routed the New Beetle very different than it's golf/jetta MkIV counterparts.

Not sure why, but they did....:(

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.