VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a 2001 1.6L petrol Beetle.

Just recently it has started idling very rough, and now it is difficult to start without pumping the throttle to get it going.

Once running it is then ok but a bit smoky and also revs itself sometimes without pressing accelerator!

On a quick look under the bonnet I found what looks like some kind of vaccum hose or tube that is just hanging down into where the spark plugs are not connected to anything.

I don't know if this is normal or if it should be connected somewhere? Can anyone please help?

Photo attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Hey, unfortunately; the US spec New Beetles, did not come with the 1.6L. So, this is not as familiar with most of us here. Can you get the part # off of the valve with the electrical connector on it? If you can get the part #; then you could identify, what it is. Then, figure out where it goes. Got an engine code (AWH or AYD?); maybe we can find a vacuum hose diagram, that way? I know; they have UK based Haynes manuals for the New Beetle:

They offer online access to their manuals with a subscription:

http://www.haynes.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001

Here looks like a parts diagram for the 1.6L:

http://www.vagcat.com/epc/cat/vw/BE/2001/206/49/2495615/

The part with the hose connected to it; looks like #19
solenoid valve 037906283A.

Maybe, a idle air control valve; of some sort? Thus your rough idle?

This diagram; is for 1.6L Mark V Polo; which I think, had the same engine. It looks similar to yours:

vacuum hose diagram:

http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswa...ns/schematic_diagram_for_vacuum_hoses_(polo)/

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for helping - I'll try and get a part number from my car and post back to confirm if it is 037906283A or not. Thanks very much again! :)

Hey, unfortunately; the US spec New Beetles, did not come with the 1.6L. So, this is not as familiar with most of us here. Can you get the part # off of the valve with the electrical connector on it? If you can get the part #; then you could identify, what it is. Then, figure out where it goes. Got an engine code (AWH or AYD?); maybe we can find a vacuum hose diagram, that way? I know; they have UK based Haynes manuals for the New Beetle:

They offer online access to their manuals with a subscription:

Haynes - Practical Manuals and Books

Here looks like a parts diagram for the 1.6L:

New Beetle 2001

The part with the hose connected to it; looks like #19
solenoid valve 037906283A.

Maybe, a idle air control valve; of some sort? Thus your rough idle?

This diagram; is for 1.6L Mark V Polo; which I think, had the same engine. It looks similar to yours:

vacuum hose diagram:

Volkswagen Workshop Manuals > Polo Mk5 > Power unit > 4-cylinder diesel engine (1.6 l engine, common rail) > Exhaust turbocharger, G-charger > Charge air system > Fitting charge air system hose connections > Schematic diagram for vacuum hoses (Polo)

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Ok, so we are talking about the same part; shown above.

The above digram; that I linked to before, seems to be a diesel.... so that is probably not exactly the same. This is a typical; gas, non turbo engine, right? While, this isn't very clear; this seems to be the correct engine. Based on engine codes:

http://www.vagcat.com/epc/cat/vw/BE/2001/206/49/2495615/

Do you have a service manual; like haynes or bentley?

Many times; Volkswagen, will put a "vacuum hose routing diagram"; sticker, in the engine compartment, like this: https://www.google.com/search?q=vac...-vw-audi-v6-label-genuine-oe-cp014470;826;600

Is there one in your engine compartment somewhere? That could help you figure out; where it goes. Did you figure out; what the engine code was? Again; usually there is a sticker; on the timing belt cover or somewhere else, that shows the engine code.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi thanks again for your help.

A previous owner must have removed the sticker of the hose routing (I can see where a sticker once was but has been pealed off - why would someone do that!?) so I ended up following this guide:

Change spark plugs 1.6 8v - Just Buggin' - the UK New Beetle Club Forum

Which meant I could get access behind the plastic intake manifold and locate where the pipe/tube should be connected. I found a little nipple up on the top which it pushed back onto and now the car is running great again. It seems to have fixed the stalling issue.

Thank you very much again for helping.

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Good job! Tell us more about your uk spec new beetle; got any pics? Is it a auto or standard transmission; does the 1.6l have decent power? The 1.6l seems to be the smallest engine; Vw put in the new beetle, I bet it gets good gas mileage! :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts