NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having a very strange problem lately. About one in every four or five starts the hot light starts flashing a few seconds after I start up (cold) and stays on about a minute, then goes off, just like the COLD light should. I ran Vag-Com and it didn't find anything. Has anyone had a problem like this? I'm wondering if it's a bad temperature sensor. I'm assuming the same sensor turns on the cold and hot lights. Is that correct? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! John

·
2008 "Fowvay" yellow NB
574 Posts
Yep it sounds like either a temp sensor or low coolant level. Coolant level is just a visual check of the resevoir. If low add G-12 mixed 50-50 with distilled water.

If the coolant is good I would replace the temp sensor. Ask for a green temp sensor at the dealers. They sell a lot of them and they are cheap and easy to install. (I just did mine.)

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Sukhoidave's right on. I've had that problem and filled w/ distilled water first, that kept the light from coming on. Shortly after I replaced my temp sensor w/a green-top temp sensor.

Haven't had a false light again yet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I checked my coolant level and it is maybe an inch low on the overflow reservoir. Is that enough to trigger the light? I'm going to top it off anyway, and see what happens. I already upgraded to the green temp sensor last year, so hopefully, that isn't the problem.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
yup its pretty touchy, mine did it, added some distilled water and it hasnt come back since.

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
you can get the green one from ecstuning.com

jd

·
my turbo is bigger!!!!!!!
502 Posts
yea their like what 7 bucks lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts