NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Red Thermometer popped up on the way home. Flipped on the heater to drop the temp. & the blower going from hot to cool and back to hot. Any ideas on whats wrong? Car is Year 2000 turbo 1.8 hitting 53K.Don't want to drive it. Seems like I remember this happening to me years ago with a Chevy - it was a bad thermostat.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Only 53K on a 2000?! Wow.

Hmm, I forget what hoses to check, but let it warm up and check to make sure your water pump is flowing. You basically feel the hoses around the upper radiator?, and .... maybe somewhere else? If the waterpump broke, it should be covered by your 100K powertrain warranty. (unless you're not the first owner, if they're direct family, it's still valid; otherwise you went out of warranty 3K ago) The waterpump's SUPPOSED to last 100K.

Could be a bad sensor. there's a sensor on the right of the motor I think it's where 3 radiator hoses combine? That sensor has been known to go bad. It's a pretty cheap part and SUPER easy to replace. (get a green-top temp sensor, that replaces the bad version )

pump, sensor... that's my first 2 guesses.

·
Old Skool .org Member
58 Posts
I had a similar problem. I thought it was my water pump, so I did the timing belt/water pump change. Pulled out a prestine looking water pump... Ended up being the thermostat. It is in a PAIN in a butt location under the intake manifold. It took some special finessing with a swivel, tape and an hex head apex holder to get at it.

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
Limitwheel said:
Thanks for the response....The pump is the culprit...:
I highly recommend getting the www.ecstuning.com full timing belt and water pump kit. It is very complete, uses a metal blade pump and saves you a ton of money over the dealership.

Tom aka Fowvay

1 - 6 of 6 Posts