VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
'02 Snap Orange 1.8T/5spd
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
2002 with the 1.8 turbo. CEL for misfire from #2. Starts perfect and runs perfect, until shut off, and then when you come out from running an errand, it's misfiring like crazy, the CEL comes on, and the misfire will go away, the longer the car is driven after being restarted. In other words, once the hot soak temps (cyl. head temps) come down, the issue disappears.

Getting ready to order a set of plugs and maybe a set of coils (push in style coil) but wanted to ask some spark plug advice before pulling the trigger.

Looking on Auto Parts at AutohausAZ - OEM Auto Parts - Discount Replacement Parts, Resources and Car Care Tips there are quite a few options, most of them Denso. Never been a Denso fan, and prefer NGK or Bosch. So, what are people having success with? I don't mind spending on a quality plug, but I also don't want to throw $13ea plugs at it, when a set of triple electrode NGK's will do just fine.

Thanks!

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I would start; your troubleshooting process, by scanning the car for codes and posting them up here. You could also; swap the coil pack from #2 to a different cylinder and see if the misfire travels to the other cylinder. I would check the coil pack plug/wiring; the injector, the injector could be moved as well to check for a bad one and a compression/leak down test of that cylinder, could be a good idea as well. In my experience; a bad coil pack or a broken plug/connector, is usually the problem.

To confirm you get the latest revision and a good quality coil pack; you could get them from your local vw dealer they aren't that expensive. You might see if there is a open recall on your car; I have had mine replaced 2X, under recalls.

Check out ecstuning; for ideas on typical 1.8T coil packs:

http://www.ecstuning.com/News/MKIV18t_CoilpackOptions/

·
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

Had VW run the VIN and the car did get the coil recall and that was completed in 2010 with all 4 being replaced. The local dealer was willing to sell 4 coils at $15ea, and the NGK iridium plugs at $10ea. So I replaced all that, and it runs much better than it ever has.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Good call; on getting the coil packs from the dealer, that way you have the latest revision. Sorry about the spark plug info; I got NGK Iridium IX's (not Nippon Densos) from Autozone; for less then the dealer... next time you could try that. Fresh coil packs; make a HUGE, difference! Did the problems; go away? :confused:

·
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I figured what I saved in one stop shopping, and that they were giving me employee discount, was well worth just getting everything at once.

The base of the porcelain of each plug, where it meets the metal "nut" shape of the spark plug base, all had a ragged 1/8" wide dark orange band of staining around the porcelain, and the #2 plug, which was throwing the misfire code, also had some crusty white crud forming in that seam. So honestly, it was probably a set of failed plugs. I've seen this failure before in a Eurovan with a set of Denso's, and then a set of NGK's about 2yrs later. IMO, it's a build quality issue, where the seal between the porcelain and the steel fails, and then hot combustion gases start to burn up the inside seam.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Hey, Look at #3: they are calling it a "corona stain", is this what you are referring to?:

Spark Plug Analysis - Technical Information - NGK Spark Plugs Australia

"Corona Stain: A removed spark plug sometimes has discolouration around the insulator surface which looks like gases have leaked between the insulator and the shell. This discolouration is generally called " Corona stain" and is caused by the fact that oil particles in the air around the insulator surface are attracted by the corona discharge, are charged, and then adhere to the insulators surface. The corona stain causes no deterioration of the function of the spark plug."

I also, have seen this many times; on other cars and it seems common on these newer style plugs, for some reason. Whether, it is a quality issue or our high revving, modern engines with coil packs, deep inside the head are putting the plugs... through a special version of hell, i don't know! :cool: :confused: The above quote; seems to state otherwise and that it isn't a problem?

·
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Yep, that's exactly what I have, with #2 having a bunch of white chunky sorta corrosion, as if stuff was bubbling up out of the seam.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts