NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Want to do a drive.
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have a bad wheel bearing or if your CV joint is going bad?

I hear 1 or 2 clicks when I take off from a start. I've heard a bad CV before when you turn you hear numerous clicks. I don't get anything audible on turning only from a dead straight start. A friend was standing beside my car and said it sounded like it was on the out side of the wheel and not under the fender. I had someone tell me it might be the caliper clicking? My gut tells me bearing.

On another note I hit a pot hole and the streering pulls slightly to the left. been meaning to take it in for an alignment but just hadn't had time this summer, can't remember if it clicked beore that. The click is only heard on the front left wheel. Could it be related?

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
I had the same thing with the 03 TS. VW changed out so many things, including the rack and pinion steering - still had the noise. I just gave up.

But, my short whistle/click was when sharp turning, hearing it when leaving the high floor of the parking garage. Left turn, short straight, left turn.... I'm no mechanic, but it sounda like a U-joint or wheel bearing. I would get it looked at, at the very least.

Hope it's not serious. :eek:

·
Want to do a drive.
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I took the car in today to have the CV joints done and they found the cause of the clicking. They said the axle shafts were cracked and allowing the grease out. Well they said they would have the car done today, I knew they wouldn't. Got a call about the the time to go pick it up and they said they had the wrong shafts. I said 5spd huh? they said yep. I told them many times 6spd. Now they said they will get the 6spd shafts in by noon. Now there is no rush since my wife is out of town and I'll have to drive her car. Can't drive two cars home. :p

1 - 3 of 3 Posts