NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I got one!!
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ya'll. The title says it all...six days ago I adopted a 2005 NBC Dark Flint Edition. I had a 2005 PT Cruiser with 157,000 miles that ran well, and life was good. Kid #1 graduated college in Dec, found a teaching job, planning to finally move out this weekend :D. Kid #2 is a college Senior this year. My wife of 27 years still keeps me around!!

I would occasionaly get the "new car itch". ALWAYS WANTED A CONVERTIBLE, but PT Cruisers looked terrible to me as did the Pontiac 2 seater, couldn't afford the Saturn Sky or MiniCooper or BMW, couldn't fit into the Miata (I'm 6'2"). Mustangs & Sebrings are too big...but I really never considered the NBC cause, ya know...it's a chick car! But they really, really looked cool!!!!

So I'm looking on cars.com, just to kill time....and then I saw it. The Dark Flint Edition!! Black & red...red leather...oh baby..that is ME!! Only had 49,600 miles. Priced under KBB. I've never owned a VW or vert in my life. It was located just north of Ft. Worth...little too far away to bother with. Then the next week, business took me up that direction. What the heck...I'll just stop by and at least look at it. Then...well, then most of you on this forum knows what happened next. Yeah, love at first sight. And the test drive with the top down, despite 104 degrees air temp, was freaking eye-opening!!! Sent my wife a text pic. Then I left, and started to talk myself out of it, being the reasonable person I am. I don't NEED it, I don't NEED it.......

Wife gets home that night and says 'let's go look at it together.' Hummm...well OK I suppose...but I'm not going to get it cause I don't NEED it. We get there, she really likes it. Next thing I know, I'm signing a buyer's agreement!!!! I was possessed by a power I couldn't control. Picked him (yeah, this is a male NBC as best I can tell, provisional name 'Spyder') up the next day.

I've got the coolest car in town!!! Life is so short...at almost 55 years old, I've got a vert!! I'm the sports PA Announcer for our local high schools & at UT Arlington, so I will have the hottest car on campus! Already added burgandy floor mats, red tire stem caps, got the drink holder from Bed, Bath,Beyond for those large Sonic cherry Dr. Peppers. RaggTopp is on order. Think I will wait on boot & windscreen for now.

Only issues so far: It's still 104 degrees down here! Only came with one key/remote. VW dealership wants $275 for a spare :mad:. Fabric has seperated from rear window around top (see last pix). Trying to decide on Rhino glue, Marine glue, clear sealant, winshield glue, bubblegum...anyone have a video on their fix for this? Otherwise it's in great shape. I am automotive mechanically challenged, so if anyone can recommend a trusted VW dealership/shop near Arlington/Ft. Worth, plz let me know.I loved reading all 27 pages of posts in the Convertible Section!

Sorry for being so long-winded. Loving being a NBC owner.

·
VAG, it's a lifestyle...
47 Posts
LOL.......I know the feeling.....I'm still trying to figure out how I went from Audi UrS6 to NB Turbo S.......

Car looks good M8:cool:

·
Kaylee Bug
366 Posts
Welcome to the Org! Sweet lookin' ride. What kind of engine does it have? You can do a lot of research here & on the Vortex. There are some preventative maintenance things to do for NBs that will save you a lot of grief later (timing belt/water pump being the #1 item to look into). Hopefully some of our TX members will be able to help you locate a reliable mechanic in your area.

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
You do know, that is a limited edition! Congrats!!!! You indeed have the coolest car in town! :party:

Welcome to the Org,:wave2: and Welcome to the New Beetle! :clap:

·
Momentai!!!
1,092 Posts
I've always wanted a Flint addition! I just think they are down right sexy :p The dark just mixes really well! And hey I just traded my 03 vert. You'll love it! Anyways if your interested I have a windscreen and the leather bag if you might be interested in it when time comes. From the dealer they are something around $200 for the screen and $100 for the leather bag. I would be happy to let it go for $80. Pm me if your ever interested! And I know you will enjoy the vert very much!!!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
444 Posts
Hey, NICE car!

You will obviously want to get another remote. Just a little story for you. Two months ago I lost my remote. Started using the "extra" key (without the remote) . Got lazy about shopping for the remote. DId that for a few weeks till one day it wouldn't disarm the alarm. Had to have it towed. Finally it started after alot of hassle. I bought a remote on ebay for MUCH less money than the "Stealership" wanted. Took it to a top locksmith. He cut it but couldn't program it. After much time spent, I left and went to the dealer. THEY couldn't program it either. I ended up having to buy a remote from them. They did take out the cut blade from the bad remote, so I didn't have to buy that part again. The company I bought it from was willing to give me a partial refund. Moral of the story? Sometimes it's a waste of more time and money trying to save some money. If you decide to buy a remote on ebay, put a question out on the ORG here as to exactly which companies folks have bought from that sell a remote that DOES work. Save yourself alot of headaches. :)

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Automotive Locksmiths do these keys considerably cheaper than the Dealer. I paid $185 for FOB, new key and programming for my '05.

Here's more help with keys and remotes, and for an understanding of programming and how they work -
Keys, Remotes, and Programming
sidewinderkey.com

Postscript - I also have a "manly" '05 NBC Dark Flint Special Edition (the best looking NB Vert ever built), bought at 40k miles a year ago! But, unlike you, I waited andf hunted for 2 years for the right one to come along. Funny, two days after doing the deal on this one, another popped up with less mileage and in even a little better shape for less than $500 more. The wife hated the color when I showed her pics of what I had bought but now likes it better than all the other combos also.

More info here of this and other SEs.
About the VW Beetle Special Editions | Contents

Edit: Also, as most around here know, I have been looking for a red boot, even offering a reward, for the last almost a year. See here http://newbeetle.org/forums/parts-accessories/47302-wtb-finders-fee-paid-red-vert-boot.html

They are available new in the States ± $1000, and I can get them from Europe for between $700 - $800. Have a ragged black one for a parts donor if I end up needing to get one made. Have several blacks and windstops if you are interested.

I also have an '05 NBC Owners Manual available here
http://newbeetle.org/forums/parts-accessories/48896-fs-owners-manuals-40-shipped.html

Happy Verting!

MORAV

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Nice! Love the contrasting burgundy!
Garnet Red Top, Bordeaux Red Interior, Bordeaux Red Inserts in the Take5's, not Burgundy (burgundy is more to the purple side, like the wine), silly girl!

M.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts