NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am at a time in my life where I am realizing that what I want to do with my future isn't just a simple abstract concept I get to dream about. I have to have a definite major declared by the end of the school year, and I am just so confused about what I want to do. My "dreams" range from becoming a set designer or writer to a zoologist or social worker. I would love to work in many unrelated fields, but I know it's not possible.

This leads me to my question. I just wanted to know from those already in their chosen path, how did you get there? Did the answer just appear one day and you "knew?" Was it by accident or luck? Or do you just have a "job" to pay the bills and get by? I really appreciate your input, as this decision hangs over my head on a daily basis. :dunno:

Ryan

·
Send Money
1,135 Posts
Well, before I got to where I am now, I was on the path to an engineering degree. Not quite sure how, but I got into the manufacturing end of a soda-bottle business during the 3rd semester of college, running the machines that made the bottles. Met my first wife there, which later turned out to be the biggest mistake of my life, but that's another (long) story.
My current career was, in many ways, chosen for me. My ex's father worked at the same company for many years, but he was already retired for a number of years when I met her. I really was on the path to become an engineer, but got sidetracked (or maybe buswhacked?) by marriage. The ex pushed me to apply there, and once I got in the door, I pretty much liked it, as well as the money it brought me. I often wonder how it would have turned out had I stayed in college, but "pushing the buttons that make the cash registers ring" has worked out pretty well so far.

I am a chemical operator in a major chemical company, and today marks the first day of the beginning of my 19th year there.

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
More of a Passion than just a Job.

I started out in music and wanted to just get a degree to appease the parents...along the way I ended up getting a Drafting Tech degree and working for a paper mill doing Technical Illustrations. While in that 2 year job I realised 2 things: 1) I didn't want to be the lowest man on the totem pole (ie. CAD operator) and 2)After doing a renovation and planning the new Administration building that I liked Architecture.

So...I moved to Dallas (where my GF was) got a job as an Architectural Draftsman while attending Architecture school for 6.5 years...working the entire time. Got my Masters Degree and now am Designing million+ dollar buildings while working on my Architectural License.

Architecture isn't all for the money, not a huge amount to be made, but Design and Architecture are a passion of mine and I have finally made it where I am in the Design portion of the field which is a minority of this field.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I ended up where I am (administrative stuff for a television station) by complete accident. I started in uni for a degree in Arts but after my first semester I just decided that I want to do nursing. Switched schools, started pre-nursing and just when I was getting into it I became so grossed out because the reality of the job started to sink in. It wasn't the fantasy that I came up with in my head. During my pre-nursing I had taken a business class as an elective and quite enjoyed it and switched into business admin. I think by dipping your toes into many temperatures of water the right one just feels perfect and you just dive right in there.

·
Some say............
1,665 Posts
I ended up in the auto industry thanks to my love of cars. When I was in high school, I started working at a local VW dealer detailing cars and fell in love with the business. I later found Northwood University which has an automotive marketing program which gives me the skills I need to run a dealership day to day. After that I went through the NADA dealer candidate academy which further enhanced my skills. So hopefully one day I'll own my own dealership. Now all I gotta do is get my foot in the door since the dealer I was working at(same one since high school) stiffed me.

·
Nerds On Site
32 Posts
I decided to become a Nerd(entreprenerd) for 2 reasons.
1. I hated other people telling me what to do, now i'm my own boss.
2. I loved computers but knew almost any job with them would leave me behind a desk forever. And once i heard about Nerds on Site it didn't take long to jump into it.

·
ACVW Chick
324 Posts
I was basically thrown into my job. I've always done clerical work, and that's what I started out doing at my place of business. They started having me train with the Accounts Receivable manager, learning her job as a backup to her. They waited until I knew it pretty well and let her go. They offered me the job, since I was the one that knew how to do it.

I am one of the few that they truly trust with anything around there. I have also proven that I can learn just about anything. I also help out with IT, I can backup for the warehouse manager as well as a few other things.

I like doing the accounting work. I'd probably look for a job in the same field if I was to ever leave my current place.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
I started my graphic design business (http://www.buyicons.com), in October 2003, and have loved what I am doing ever since. The workload is pretty manageable, and the money is really good, I have a part-time employee to help me do the designs.

Anyway, I started this year (my first year in University) in Arts.. I hate it, not getting great marks at all..

So, I'm going to become a dropout after Christmas :D

Next year, I'm going to NSCAD (Nova Scotia College of Art and Design), to get my Bachelor of Fine Arts, majoring in graphic design.

My online business is going to be the little egg I'll incubate for my University years, and then grow it like crazy once I get my diploma, maybe even hire other designers, who knows?

Anyway, that is how I'm choosing my career :)

SMG

·
R.I.P 12/21/2006 - 65 Years Young.
307 Posts
Writing is the only thing I'm good at. Unfortunately, I'm not good enough to be a novelist, so I became an advertising writer instead. I consider myself a literary prostitute. :)

·
Retro/Techno
1,118 Posts
My career found me.

I attended the Cleveland Institute of Art with my major in Industrial Design (the art end of designing consumables for people--NOT engineering) focusing on Automotive Design. I took one Auto Design course and absolutely hated it. They had these guys come down from Detroit to teach the class and they were, well, pretty damn stuck on themselves. One after the other came to our school and they were all the same. Dropped Auto Design after one semester and stuck with "general" Industrial Design (ID). My last year in school I discovered Interior Design and realized THAT'S what I should have majored in. Too late to switch at that time, so I finished up that year and didn't go back. The politics of the school had completely gotten to me and I was completely burned out. My last year at school I had been working at a local retailer, when I finished that year they offered my a management position. In about 2.5 years I worked my way up from a part-time sales associate to one of the leading Instructional Designers in the company. The company realized my talents (art, design, and a knack for communicating with people) and developed me to where I am today. I love what I do and get to use my talents EVERY DAY designing training programs for our store associates. I would not be where I am today if I stuck around in my major.

Keep in mind that life is a journey; while a raodmap is great to have don't be afraid to go where life takes you.

·
Just because!
3,712 Posts
Long story short....

I have always loved electronics and electricity. I joined the Navy to be an Aviation Electrician, which combined my love of power and airplanes.

Of course the Navy didn't/doesn't pay that well (though the travel is sometimes pretty good) so I got out, and ended up at The Boeing Company where I was assembling power distribution panels, electronic shelves and flight deck wiring for the 757 program.

When the rumours of layoffs got serious, I called my buddy over at Goodrich/Tramco and got hired on there doing Avionics maintenance, and modifications. But then, like a lot of aerospace workers, I got laid off after 9/11. (It took them 6 rounds of layoffs to get me though!) I was within a month of my 5 year mark. :mad:

So then I did some serious soul searching to find out what would be a good compromise to make some decent money, and still be interesting. Ah ha! Electrical Engineering! That's the ticket! So, for the last two years, I have been getting my associates/general crap out of the way. I'll be starting ODU this winter.

Then comes the question, where does my job of Custom Framing come in? It is a part time job that my wife told me I HAD to get. She was tired of me just doing school work. :rolleyes: SO now I just frame art.

Then an oppertunity to shoot photographs for my local college "fell" into my lap. So I can say I am a pro photog too. :cool:

Take time to figure it out. It took me a couple of months to finally decide on my EE. :D

I would get online and see what jobs will be in demand in the future for the area you would like to live in. (For example, I read somewhere recently that Seattle has the third highest concentration of graphic designers in the country. That brings pay down when there are many people without work.)

Good luck to ya! :)

·
Foreign Exchange Orger
7,461 Posts
After graduating from highschool in The Netherlands I was an exchangestudent in Titusville, FL to learn fluently English. When I came back home I went to a tourismschool and ended up at a general sales agent of a few airlines.
After 2 years I was accepted to work for KLM Royal Dutch Airlines at the telephone reservations dept. Now I work at the personnel travel department.
All in all, I already had an idea that I wanted to work in tourism when I was still in highschool.

·
Eine Kleine Panzer
210 Posts
I ended up in the wildlife biology field due to my time in the boonies as a kid and my time spent in the army...not to mention I have a "lone wolf" personality who wants to know how things work.

I absolutely love what I do...I study wildlife and their habitats such as bats, caves, carnivores, birdlife, and game animals and how management decisions (I work on an Army installation with the largest armored force in the free world) impact these systems. It is a very rewarding career. Good luck with your career search and do what makes you happy, you only get one shot in this twisted world.

·
Your mileage may vary
7,566 Posts
I became Emperor Zark, Supreme Leader of the Galaxy by being in the right place at the right time.

Except for those pesky rebels that keep destroying my Ultimate Weapon of Doom, it's a pretty good gig.

·
I AM SMILEY MAN!!!
310 Posts
I started out following in the foot steps of my father. I applied for admission into Annapolis Naval Academy, and was accepted in my first go-around. However, when it came time to do my full admission work up, I was failed out, because of flat feet, asthma and the only male child in the family... so, my Naval career was over before it started.

So, what to do next... the career I had anticipated all my childhood was shot out from under me. I was good at drawing, so I went to school for Architecture. And the rest they say is history... but, I have come to the point in my life that I hate everything about Architecture, and I want to try something new... but what...

·
Lurker Status Assumed.
858 Posts
i'm not officially in a career yet, but iwas in the same boat as u when picking a major.

i heard the whole "just follow your dreams" idea, and the problem is that each possibility i thought of had a better dream associated with it than the last, so i never came to a conclusion.

instead, i asked my parents to help me remember what i used to do for fun when i was a kid. we figured that since i was always fascinated with cars and planes and things like that, and since i was always taking things apart to see how they work, engineering was definitely for me.

i'm much happier there than i was as a physics major (my bad first choice).

·
33 ⅓
15,621 Posts
A geek was/is me. In high school, I was involved in stage, and worked both on stage and backstage. Then I was a local DJ; the type that spun records at parties. Joined the NAVY, was a radio man. Got out, got two degrees in sound engineering, and meanwhile was a radio DJ.

Then, it a fit of passion, I quit radio, and became, after a long time, a preacher. Who also dabbles in investments.

In one way, or another, I have been 'on stage' most of my life.

(oh, and sprinkled in and around my life, I have run restaurants, and been in other work...)

But the bottom line, is I would not be where I am today, if I had not walked the path I did.

Not sure if that meant anything, or helped...

·
Where is home ....
11,013 Posts
As of right now I dont have a career. But, I intend to do 3D animation/3D modeling sometime in the near future (I HOPE!)

As for deciding what I wanted to do ... I dont know. I remember as a kid saying, "I want to work for Disney!" ... at the time, I didnt know what I was saying. I didnt really know what animation was ... or the kind of work it would involve. As I got older I decided I wanted to do Atmospheric Science but, my lack of skills in math and physics QUICKLY axed that 'dream'. Then, I decided that web page design was for me. Heh ... nope. Didnt like that either. Coding wasn't for me and neither was working for myself making web pages for people who didnt understand why you cant put blue text on a bright orange background. So, I went back to wanting to do animation. I think the movie "Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within" caused me to really want to be an animator/modeler. Yeah, the story lacked severly ... but, I didnt care. I liked the animation! WOOT! So, now ... I am in my 2nd year at Art Institute of Colorado. Working on my 'Media Arts and Animation' degree.

I think my point is ... you wont know what you TRULY like or what you can do until you try it. ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts