NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
borrowing shutterbug's photo 'cause it shows exactly what i want to do (and i LOVE this picture!). hope you don't mind! anyway, does anyone know how i can achieve this effect using a digital camera? you know, sharp image in the middle / up close, but the background is blurred? my digital camera has settings for aperature, shutter speed, macro mode, ISO and manual focus, just so ya' know.

thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,131 Posts
The way to do this is the same as on a film camera...use the biggest aperture possible. If you've got an aperture priority mode, I'd use it (usually labeled "A" or "Av" on your mode settings). The effect is difficult to achieve on some smaller point and shoot digital cameras because even their biggest apertures aren't that big. But you should be able to accomplish it without any trouble on longer-lensed models.

It's also handy if your camera has manual focus. If not, you will probably have to use auto-focus lock. That is to say, put your subject in the center of the frame, hold your shutter half way down, letting the camera focus on the subject, and then recompose the image and fire without letting up on the shutter.

Another little trick is to take these kinds of portraits with your zoom all the way extended (as "close-up" as possible). By default, telephoto uses bigger apertures, so this will help.

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the tip jeff. i'll be trying that out soon!

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jdesigns said:
There are also two other ways to achieve the small depth of field effect with a digital camera.

#1 Photoshop :D

#2 Digital SLR (see my photo's in the "October Assignment: Orange" thread. :cool:
i have photoshop!

i don't know if my camera qualifies for a digital SLR...but i do have aperature, shutter speed and other fancy functions on mine. it's a canon powershot A75.

·
Just because!
3,712 Posts
callisto9 said:
i have photoshop!

i don't know if my camera qualifies for a digital SLR...but i do have aperature, shutter speed and other fancy functions on mine. it's a canon powershot A75.
I hate to say it, but your camera is not a D-SLR. With a D-SLR you can change lenses. ;)

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jdesigns said:
I hate to say it, but your camera is not a D-SLR. With a D-SLR you can change lenses. ;)
nah, don't hate to say it! i know it's nothing fancy, but does have more options on a point and shoot than you'd expect. hey, what do you expect for $250? :p

but now i know the difference. someday i'll have a fancy camera...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts