VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
We've only got 4 Minutes!
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my car with 82K miles earlier this year, replaced the cooling system including belt. However I don't know if the previous owner or dealership replaced the serpentine belt. I just hit 98K, is it possible to tell if it has been replaced at all?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Cheap and easy enough to change. If you have to question it, probably a wise idea to change it?

At least if the belt goes, the water pump still works.

I replaced the belt on my car, only to find it is less than 6 months starting to have cracks on the grooves.

Turned out my one way alternator pulley was actually frozen and causing a lot of stress on the belt, changed pulley and put a new belt on, this was about 8k miles ago and so far no issue.

I find it is wise to replace serpentine belts by 7 years/70k miles. Probably best to do it as PM every 4 years/40k miles.

Why risk it breaking and causing other problems. If you change it on your schedule, you can control the cost and when it gets replaced. If you wait, it will always break when you least want it to and you cannot control the cost as well.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts
Serp belt, for me, gets changed when I do the timing belt. You're already in there, so why not do that too? Its pretty easy to do though. The tensioner is a bit of a pain, but not a terrible job. As stated, if you aren't sure, I'd just go ahead and replace it.

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
I bought my car with 82K miles earlier this year, replaced the cooling system including belt. However I don't know if the previous owner or dealership replaced the serpentine belt. I just hit 98K, is it possible to tell if it has been replaced at all?
Look at the 'ribs' of the belt itself. If you see cracks in the ribs that amount to more then 5 per inch? It's due to be replaced.

That's only part of the equation. The other is the pure mileage and time installed that can break down the hidden sections of the belt you can't see.

Good rule of thumb would be to replace the belt(s) if over 2, maybe 3 years old. Some may say the belts should last a lot longer? But let's be honest. The belt is a mild annoyance to change out and not quite a "Break the Bank" item. What's easier? To spend a few bucks now and have peace of mind? Or to have the belt snap and leave you stranded?

Preventive Maintaining your car is just that. To do maintenance to prevent break downs :D

Have a nice day!

S-

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I usually keep the old belt and put it in the trunk so if the replacement happens to let go you have something on hand to get you going again.

Belts break, tensioners fail, pulleys break/fall off, but if for some reason you just need a belt to keep you going, the spare in the trunk might be helpful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts