NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped a large item onto my 2012 beetle rear spoiler tonight and cracked it. (I'm so pissed!)
I have found replacement spoilers for under $100.
How do I remove the factory spoiler?
I assume it is just on with double sided tape?
Or are there any bolts that hold it on.
Any advice would be great!
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
If it's the same as my 2013, then it's fairly easy/kinda. LOL.
I replaced my OEM one with an aftermarket Dune style spoiler.

I first removed the inner trunk panel to see if there were any bolts holding it down. Yes. there are. 4. Forget what size. Probably 10mm.

Either way, I figured THAT was all that held the spoiler down.
I pried, and prodded, pried some more. Didn't really figure out what held it on. And after I DID get the OEM one off, I was in too much of a hurry to go back and actually look.
Needless to say, I just pulled on one side, till a big carrrunnnch, and it came off. I dont remember seeing any tape anywhere tho.

The replacement one Did utilize 2 sided tape AND, also the same 4 screws. (at least holeplacement anyway. Had to make my own lineup tools/bolts/studs.

Hope any of this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank You so much for the advice!!!!
Where did you find the Dune spoiler!???
I might put one of those on instead.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
rear spoiler

It's an aftermarket (made in China, if I remember correctly).
best ali.express, I believe, is the portal/website, etc.
The spoiler is fairly decently built. It utilizes MOST of the OEM bolting points, PLUS it has double sided 3m tape EVERYWHERE on the inside.
I heavy dutied (sp)/, mine up even more just to make sure.
The black outside paint is very nice. The red (to match), paint, it looks like they prepped the area/sanded, w/ 60 grit paper, and went from there. But I digress.

At some point I WILL have it repainted/done properly, and do a better fitment of it. (as always, I have no patience, so was in a hurry to get it mounted).

Good luck, have fun.

·
Registered
2019 Beetle Turbo Final Edition
91 Posts
Hi,

My wife has a white 2019 Beetle Turbo Final Edition.

She wants to paint accent color on the mirror caps and rear spoiler.

Rather than take off the current parts and paint them, we want buy new parts, paint them, and then swap them out with the existing parts.

When rear spoiler is removed, did it damage the hatch paint?

Is it difficult to remove the inner hatch panel to expose the 4 bolts?

Thanks for your input.

Best,

Mark

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Removing the inner panel (I removed all of rear hatch trim, if I remember correctly). Believe it starts at top, then overlaps til big bottom piece. Kinda self explanatory, once you start removing screws, etc. You'll see what overlaps what. Two side pieces I believe, slid inside with plastic clips into lower part, then have snap in type connectors to body.
As far as the 4 bolts that actualy hard attach spoiler to rear of car, I got so upset when piece/spoiler wouldn't come off, that I basically RIPPED off the oem one.
As far as damaging the rear hatch area? None. Paint is heavy duty, and I wasn't prying on anythiing metal/to metal, to cause any scratches. Just basically used my fingers and pried/pulled, till it went pop. lol.
Good luck. (I never said I was a body man). lol.....................:>)

·
Registered
91 Posts
THANKS for your reply and detailed info. Very helpful!

Doesn't sound too difficult.....

:)

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
No, it isn't. You need two things,(one of which I have absolutely none), Patience. lol. If you really take your time, it is pretty much self explanatory as far as how it comes apart, and goes together. That's basically what being an auto tech/mechanic is. Good at puzzles, and fair memory. LOL. Remembering how something you took apart goes back together, and basically understanding what it does/why it does it.
I wish I had more info on the exact way the spoiler attaches itself to hatch, but like I said. I found those big 4 nuts/studs, whatever, and just assumed those held it on. Pryed and pulled, pryed and pulled. Eventually managed to break the whole thiing in half. Got it off tho.................LOL.

Good luck, have fun. Wish I could tell ya more.

Surely SOMEONE on these forums has done an R&R?

One thing I remember alot was how I felt bummed 'breakiing' the OEM one. The paint and finish on IT was leaps and bounds better then the aftermarket/china one I purchased. Granted, the aftermarket was a DUNE replica, but still. The paint prep was/is horrible. This winter I'll yank it off and have it repainted. (probably try to FIT it on the car better as well). Again, good luck, have fun.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Makes sense....agree that patience is a big factor...

My goal is to try and remove the existing mirror caps and spoiler on car without damaging them if possible. So that if in future my wife wants car back the way it came, I can try to do that. Know that may or may not happen....

The finish on your spoiler looks pretty good to my 'ol eyes.....

:)

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,. onto mirror caps...............If yours is an bug made in mexico, I(like mine), or stated as USA made, I managed to break those little clear plastic ends (that let you know blinkers are on, inside car), on both sides, while removing my mirror covers. Also managed to break BOTH mirrors (not at same time, luckily), during my ventures of trying to find a carbon fiber mirror cover that fits MY oddball 2013 beetle. Just a heads up. There MIGHT be a way to get them all apart without snapping off the ends (Mine are both super glued back in place), btw. Again, but this old guy doesn't know what that secret is. If the tops ever have to come off again, Im positive I'll be breaking and re-gluing the ends on again.....................

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks for the mirror info, photo, and breakage warning.....

Your carbon fiber caps look pretty sharp!

To make sure I'm clear, you broke a) the clear horizontal oriented strip below the mirror cap and b) the mirrors, correct?

From what I saw in some photos and diagrams I found online, the inner surface of the mirror caps has some 'tab's on them that keep the caps in place. So, assume you need to try and depress those tabs in order to free the cap and remove it, correct?

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
If u r sitting in car, when u turn either turn signal on, there r little clear pieces that light up/pass light thru from the bulbs in mirror lites. The pieces are (lol...were attached), to clear lens assy.
Again, maybe someone KNOWS the secret to get them apart w/o breaking them. I unfortunately, do not. Have had pass side apart 3 diff times, and rebroke/reglued it every time.
Yes, there are 3 or 4 tabs under/inside cover that you depress/tweak, and mirror cover comes off.
Sometimes getting covers back on can be fun too. There is a science/technique. Lol.
Remember.....patience is a virtue. Lol.....good luck. Have fun.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks for clarifying, think I got it now.....

Yes, patience is a virtue.....

We shall see how it goes....

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just pulled on one side, till a big carrrunnnch, and it came off. I dont remember seeing any tape anywhere tho.The replacement one Did utilize 2 sided tape AND, also the same 4 screws. at least hole placement any way. roblox

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks for your input, wengleskia.

You used a non-VW made spoiler for replacement ?

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
FYI. I never mentioned that my OEM rear spoiler was ALSO held on with 2 sided tape. The factory does NOT utilize that system. For sure the 4 bolts (and whatever mysterious assembly/attachment points), which Im still wondering about), but no 2 sided tape...........................................

THE new aftermarket one was assisted tho, w/2sided tape. PLUS the oem 4 bolt/stud setup. Just sayin.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Incredibly difficult to remove them without breaking them. 4 10mm nuts from inside the hatch and that horrible tape. You can’t saw it off with fishing line because the bolts get in the way. It’s a total bitch!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts