NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped a large item onto my 2012 beetle rear spoiler tonight and cracked it. (I'm so pissed!)
I have found replacement spoilers for under $100.
How do I remove the factory spoiler?
I assume it is just on with double sided tape?
Or are there any bolts that hold it on.
Any advice would be great!
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
If it's the same as my 2013, then it's fairly easy/kinda. LOL.
I replaced my OEM one with an aftermarket Dune style spoiler.

I first removed the inner trunk panel to see if there were any bolts holding it down. Yes. there are. 4. Forget what size. Probably 10mm.

Either way, I figured THAT was all that held the spoiler down.
I pried, and prodded, pried some more. Didn't really figure out what held it on. And after I DID get the OEM one off, I was in too much of a hurry to go back and actually look.
Needless to say, I just pulled on one side, till a big carrrunnnch, and it came off. I dont remember seeing any tape anywhere tho.

The replacement one Did utilize 2 sided tape AND, also the same 4 screws. (at least holeplacement anyway. Had to make my own lineup tools/bolts/studs.

Hope any of this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank You so much for the advice!!!!
Where did you find the Dune spoiler!???
I might put one of those on instead.

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
rear spoiler

It's an aftermarket (made in China, if I remember correctly).
best ali.express, I believe, is the portal/website, etc.
The spoiler is fairly decently built. It utilizes MOST of the OEM bolting points, PLUS it has double sided 3m tape EVERYWHERE on the inside.
I heavy dutied (sp)/, mine up even more just to make sure.
The black outside paint is very nice. The red (to match), paint, it looks like they prepped the area/sanded, w/ 60 grit paper, and went from there. But I digress.

At some point I WILL have it repainted/done properly, and do a better fitment of it. (as always, I have no patience, so was in a hurry to get it mounted).

Good luck, have fun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts