NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay...i've decided it's nearly time to remove and paint the dash some. I'm referring to the part where the stereo, AC, etc sit. I always forget the correct name.

I want to remove it and still be able to drive the car while i'm working on it as i won't be able to complete it in one day. Is this possible?

I tried to use the "very anal dash removal" guide, but i didn't see what i need in there. The very front of my dash is covered with a dashmat anyway.

What tools do i need? How long can i expect it to take to remove? I'm not a mechanic or a car guy, but i can follow instruction very well. Would i need to remove the stereo to do this?

I want to finish this by Christmas, so there's plenty of time. Please help me org. Let's get a new How-To up there.

Also...does anyone have a suggestion on how to remove the rubbery matte coating to make for less sanding?

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
No tips on prep or painting here. But I can explain the removal.

Yes you can drive w/o that panel. You can even hook your radio back up after it's removed, but it'll just be laying in there. (might wanna pad it if it's a cd player, bumps wouldn't be good)

First, I call it the center dash or radio surround. But it doesn't much matter.

Tools you'll need:
-- a set of TORX drivers/bits. Probably just need T-20, or T-15 or something, but a set will garuntee you have the right size. :)
-- A straight slot screwdriver w/the tip wrapped in electrical tape could be used as a pry for those hard-to move parts.
-- radio removal keys (or 2 metal nail files)

Slide the UPPER center dash panel forwards (use your hands or risk scrapped dash). It should them come up and out of the way.

remove the panels where the heated seat dials would be, they pop out, towards you.

remove the bottom panel (ASR-or-ESP/HAZZARDS/DEFROST), there's some torx screws fromt he bottom.

Remove the radio (reference another how-to) ;)

all screws (torx) should now be exposed.

tip:
don't run the car w/o the radio if you don't have the radio code.

Sorry so short, got to run.

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if i'm reading this correctly...i will need the radio code on hand for this project? And i can get some nail files, no problem. They just pop in as if i was using a paper clip to open a CD drive right?

Anyone on the painting issue here? I'm kinda straddling two sections here so any help is good help. ;)

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
slide the nail files in and point'em towards the outside edge. There's some hooks on springs that are pressing inward, you're tryin' to push them back outward.

radio code, I would think that you'd be okay as long as you don't put the key in the ignition w/o the radio attached.

But it's always a good idea to have your code handy when screwin' w/it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Radio Surround Removal

I have a 2004 NB.

Ijust want to remove the center Dash Panel for repaint.
I do not want to remove the radio. I am aware of the
two top torx screws at the top after the upper panel slideback, but need to know exactly how to remove screws
at the bottom.

Any help on this is appreciated.

FT

1 - 6 of 6 Posts