NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure it must be here somewhere but I haven't been able to find it...how do I remove the interior door handle on the passenger side? Please tell me it comes out from the front because I am so not ready to remove my door panels just yet...I just need to pull it out so I can replace the door lock switch since mine is broken and hanging sideways so it won't work without jiggering with it.

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
Please tell me it comes out from the front because I am so not ready to remove my door panels just yet...
Well....get ready sister.
The door pull is molded into the door panel. Th panel is not to bad to pull. You do it once and you can almost do it blindfolded. To get the panel off start with the pull, the to of the pull is just a cover tat will pop out, once off you will see a large screw. This needs to be removed. Then the rest is push pins that just need to be popped out, being careful not to break them. After that its just lifted up to clear the window edge, and un-hook the wires for window and trunk as well as the catch for the lock button.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm hoping you are talking about the wrong handle...lol. I mean the one on top of the door panel that has the black surround and the door lock button (on the driver's side it also has the mirror control button). Guess I should've been more specifical since there are a couple of handles on each door...lol. I have tried taking off a door panel, but can never get it to come up off the top where it meets the window. I'm so scared I'm going to break mine when I finally do get the time to pull them off to fix them :eek: Just waiting for some time off to do that. Have a backup set so I don't have to drive around panelless, but need the time off so I can actually fix mine.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Make sure the window is rolled down. And get a set of plastic pry bars. Most auto parts stores should sell them (car body pry bar tools). It will come up, you just have to put a little force behind it.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Smileybug...I will have to look for those when I do get some time off so I can tackle the door panels. Just got a new lock button for my passenger side and wanted to at least put that in ASAP rather than wait for time off. That's why I'm kinda hoping that those assemblies pull out from the front instead of having to pull apart the whole door to get to it :eek:.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Isn't there anybody here that can tell me how to do this?

·
Ali's Dad
229 Posts
As stated in earlier posts - you have to remove the WHOLE PANEL - from the window down to the bottom of the door

1. Roll down the window
2. Open the door
3. Remove the plastic cover on top of the pull handle
4. Remove the large screw in the middle of the pull handle
5. Remove the pull handle
6. Remove the three screws along the bottom of the door panel
7. Gently pull the panel away from the door (it is clipped on) - starting at the bottom
8. Reach under the panel and disconnect the window switch power, and the puddle light
9. Lift up on the entire panel to remove it from the groove in the door where the window is
10. Unhook the power to the door lock on the back of the panel

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It sounded like those posts were in relation to the grab handle that is part of the door panel. I just want to remove the release handle to change the lock button.

If removing the whole panel is also true for the release handle then tyvm for the answer. Still need to get some of those tools to pull the panel off the top sill. Guess changing a little lock button is way more complicated than it needs to be...darn Germans :p

·
Ali's Dad
229 Posts
Depends on which Lock Button you are referring to? If you are referring to the lock switch next to the door release handle..then I think you still need to remove the entire panel (just to get the switch off the back of the panel). No tools are required for the panel other than a phillips screwdriver, a torx bit on a screw driver and your hands. Once everything is disconnected from the back of the panel you just have to pull it up out of the track on top - gently, with pressure and wee bit of rocking helps.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jfoj...thank goodness it's the passenger side...a few less things to pull apart anyway.

Depends on which Lock Button you are referring to? If you are referring to the lock switch next to the door release handle..then I think you still need to remove the entire panel (just to get the switch off the back of the panel). No tools are required for the panel other than a phillips screwdriver, a torx bit on a screw driver and your hands. Once everything is disconnected from the back of the panel you just have to pull it up out of the track on top - gently, with pressure and wee bit of rocking helps.
That's the one. I have tried getting 1 of my door panels off but could never manage to get it off the top sill despite all sorts of rocking. I was afraid I was going to break the top so I quit and got at what I needed from where I already had it pulled off. This part is all the way on top though so I am going to have to get it all the way off. I will be looking into getting those pry things smileybug was talking about and try again.

Thanks for the answer. I was just hoping it wouldn't come to taking off the entire door panel since it looked like maybe that piece would come off from the front...again I say...darn Germans :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts