NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
75 year old car nut
93 Posts
I have the same problem, mine won't "auto down" or up, and I suspect the switch, but am not sure! How much was the new one???
As I understand it the switch is accessed by removing the 3 torx screws at the bottom of the inner door panel, and then un snapping the sides from the door. Then gently pull the panel, including the top painted part, up to release it from the top at the window opening, and I would bet the window should be down to get it loose.
My mirror switch knob is also broken off, so I'll have to invest in new parts if I cannot locate them at a wrecking yard.
Let us know how you make out, Earl
Edited 2/10/06 I just replaced the broken power window thing, and the inner door panel came off without a problem, after figuring out how the door handle piece that covers the screws came off!

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
I think (but I'm not 100% sure) it's possible to get the switch out without removing the door panel. Just pry with a flat head screwdriver between the switch frame and doorpanel from below. Or just unscrew the three torx screws at the bottom of your door, the two philips screws behind the door handle and lift of the complete panel to gain access.

This is a rather common problem and the original part has now been replaced by VW. A new (and better) switch will probably cost 30-50 USD. That's expensive and you could look for one from a scapheap beetle, but you've got to be sure its the new part otherwise you'll be looking for a new one rather soon again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts