VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't see the cooling fans in my 2000 beetle working, the temp light is blue when engine start and turn off after 1 mile (4-5 mins) running. Ater that i don't see any temp light. How do i know if my car is overheated or not? This car does not have a temp gauge like other cars so I don't know if engine heat is rising over safe zone.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
If it gets too hot, that temp light will come on red.

Not sure where you are located, but I know its definitely cooling down here in NC. Cooling fans won't run much if its not that hot outside. One way to check your fans is to turn the AC on and see if both fans run. If they do, they are probably working properly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here in Central CA about 84. I turn on AC and the fans dont't work too. But this is hard to consider beccause i see the third fuse in the far left of fuse box above battery has the sign of melting. The fan fans don't work might cause by this, or fan control module...

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
I would get that fuse box sorted out before anything else. That is a known source of problems.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
club

Welcome to the club we've all had that issue at one time or another. That fuse feeds the fan control module and the fans too that's why they are not coming on. Getting back to your original question, these cars don't have a temperature gauge, correct VW $crewed us with that one. Some folks use their iphone or cell phone to monitor the engine coolant temp. using an OBD2 Scanner(elm32) you can buy off ebay for around 20-25 bucks and then buy the program Dashcommand for around $10 bucks. good luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
found problem

This morning I checked that fuse, it was good, test the fans by using jump wire to three holes in temp switch connector and see fans working. Finally found the fan control module broken in the pins connector. Replace fan control module and AC works, cooling fans work. But i still want to monitor the engine coolant temp.
@ Esse10 : can you tell me detail about using iphone to monitor it, please. Can i monitor the coolant temp when i driving by using that method?
Thanks all

·
Registered
758 Posts
@ Esse10 : can you tell me detail about using iphone to monitor it, please. Can i monitor the coolant temp when i driving by using that method?
Thanks all
I'm not "Esse10", but I've done this sort of thing.

Go to Amazon.com and search for "elm327" to find the inexpensive OBD-II scanners. For an iPhone, you'll want a "WiFi" model. I bought one from a seller with a "Prime" rating for the scanner and paid about $16 for it. You do not need the CD that comes with it, so don't put it in your computer (who knows what is on the thing).

To use the scanner, plug it into the OBD-II port on your car (usually sticking out under the dash right beneath the steering wheel). To get it to work with your iPhone, you'll go into "Settings", "WiFi", look for the scanner's name, and connect to it. After you've done that, start your OBD-II app. For an iPhone app I have used one called "OBDCarDoctor" because it is free and others I have talked to have used it successfully on their iPhone 4S (what I have). Many people like the app called "Torque", but I have not bought it or tried it so I can't say how it compares to the free app I use.

Once you have started the app, you should be able to monitor the engine temperature. Be safe and don't try to look at it while moving. I'd personally glance at it while stopped at stop lights since you're more likely to overheat in stop and go traffic than while driving on the highway. I've found that while driving on the highway, most cars won't overheat even if the fans aren't working because of the airflow through the radiator caused by the car moving at highway speeds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts